Fading Fast

Connoisseur
We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
31506-576a.jpg
6-13 Opening Night Locarno The Awful Truth.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
View attachment 31155 View attachment 31156
Gorgeous!
And I bet you could wear it for arctic exploration! :pirate:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
As you guys note, that sport coat is not super hundred something thread count. That there is tweed - thick and tightly woven wool meant to, as Eagle implies, stop a small caliber bullet.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ That might be Fellows' weakest effort so far - it looks as if he wasn't really trying. Heck, I like the illustration below his better and we know, when he wants to, he can put almost any other illustrator to shame.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
These are the only two illustrations from Esquire, July 1943 -

View attachment 31302
"Nothing nude under the sun! :icon_scratch:??? Well that certainly wasn't true back in the mid 1970's on a couple of California beaches near Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB, CA. I may have been the only occupant of said beaches with even a stitch of clothing on, as I stood there in my chinos and pale blue sport shirt! Although my compadre did strip down to his "tightie-whities" in his effort to fit in, perhaps proving the wisdom of 'not ever allowing the inmates to leave the asylum! LOL. ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ That might be Fellows' weakest effort so far - it looks as if he wasn't really trying. Heck, I like the illustration below his better and we know, when he wants to, he can put almost any other illustrator to shame.
Agreed. Fellows' work was far less inspired as the 40's rolled on.

"Nothing nude under the sun! :icon_scratch:??? Well that certainly wasn't true back in the mid 1970's on a couple of California beaches near Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB, CA. I may have been the only occupant of said beaches with even a stitch of clothing on, as I stood there in my chinos and pale blue sport shirt! Although my compadre did strip down to his "tightie-whities" in his effort to fit in, perhaps proving the wisdom of 'not ever allowing the inmates to leave the asylum! LOL. ;)
Skinny dipping is a fine American tradition! :D

And not American alone. I can recall watching a documentary about the last Russian Czar, and in a brief clip, to both my astonishment and adolescent delight, his entire family had gone swimming sans togs. Evidently the custom then and there, and no one thought a thing.

eagle2250

^^
The gentleman wearing the Safari Jacket is a particularly handsome look for those of us inclined to explore in the great outdoors. ;)

eagle2250

^^Reminds me of the days
when I would don a coat and tie on those occasions I took the wife out for a nice dinner. Alas, other than when we go out to eat after Sunday Services, I don't seem to do that anymore. Am I getting old or just getting lazy...or have times changed? :icon_scratch: :( ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Am I getting old or just getting lazy...or have times changed?
Yes! :D

Mentioned to my wife last evening that when I undertook a holiday in London as an impoverished young GI in 1970, as often as not I would be wearing a suit or jacket when visiting Mayfair or a theater despite my age and meager circumstances. Just as I would for commercial travel by air. And that was fairly much the norm.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Lower pic, gentleman to the left. Not as close as I remember, but I thought there was a Cary Grant pic out there where he echoed that outfit:
72699102d4e542b40e5a6c6a8c889f33.jpg

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.