Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Who, pray tell, on this side of a mental hospital would be seen in public wearing that beach rig featuring those walking shorts. An abomination to the eyes of any sane onlooker! LOL. ;)
As a kid from New Jersey, I spent my share of summer days at the Jersey shore - a place not to be confused with any combination of elegance and beach going. Back in the '70s, the older men sported some, to my '70s kid's eye, crazy outfits.

Matching "beach" jackets and shorts and shorts with black socks and dress shoes where not uncommon for the older men. My generation didn't wear "beach" jackets, but they were a thing with the prior generations.

Take a look at super cool James Bond in 1964's "Goldfinger" in this pool-side getup:
419405cf7c8e854aea49c06f0ca49dd8.png

Now, his nemesis in the same movie wore an outfit that plenty of older men were still wearing in the '70s at the Jersey shore:
42c8971f60bb2cc64812f912e39e6d46.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
As a kid from New Jersey, I spent my share of summer days at the Jersey shore - a place not to be confused with any combination of elegance and beach going. Back in the '70s, the older men sported some, to my '70s kid's eye, crazy outfits.

Matching "beach" jackets and shorts and shorts with black socks and dress shoes where not uncommon for the older men. My generation didn't wear "beach" jackets, but they were a thing with the prior generations.

Take a look at super cool James Bond in 1964's "Goldfinger" in this pool-side getup:
View attachment 36742

Now, his nemesis in the same movie wore an outfit that plenty of older men were still wearing in the '70s at the Jersey shore:
View attachment 36743
LOL. It appears that the ever manly James Bond is wearing what the ladies, back in the late 1950's and early 1960's called a 'cotton-terry Romper!' Say it isn't so, Joe? ;)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
And let's not forget this getup from the Duke. They all have their off days:
View attachment 36758
Point well made and noted! However, I must tell you, I once took a young lovely to the beach (well, it was really just a stretch of sand along the Susquehanna river) who wore a outfit very similar to Mr Bonds. Looking back on that experience will never be the same, as I visualize Connery's mass of chest hair and those hairy legs . :( At least the Duke shaved those parts! LOL. :(

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
1. Thank you Flanderian for an incredible thread - it's been a wonderful trip and your efforts in posting all these pics are very much appreciated.

Which leads to:

2. Is this the end of our travels through Esquire?

If it is, thank you again for a wonderful trip.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
1. Thank you Flanderian for an incredible thread - it's been a wonderful trip and your efforts in posting all these pics are very much appreciated.

Which leads to:

2. Is this the end of our travels through Esquire?

If it is, thank you again for a wonderful trip.
You are very kind and generous. :beer:

More on the topic of your questions, anon.