eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Perfect, thank you!

You're enticing me to add railway travel to my agenda by reminding me how pleasant and enriching it can be. Entirely unlike NJT, which is closer akin to a holding cell at Rikers, except that it's usually broken and late
I haven't done such since 1976 or perhaps it was 1977, but a cross country jaunt by rail is an incredible way to travel. We should all have a chance to experience a sleeper car and dining on a train at least once in our lives! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
These illustrations are from Esquire, March 1943 -

upload_2019-5-15_12-5-51.png

upload_2019-5-15_12-6-16.png

To be continued:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
⇧ I know Hitchcock was making films since the '20s and was successful from the '30s on, but I didn't think he became a household name until the '50s, but clearly from the top pic's text, he was a household name by '43.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
⇧ I know Hitchcock was making films since the '20s and was successful from the '30s on, but I didn't think he became a household name until the '50s, but clearly from the top pic's text, he was a household name by '43.
I think it was his TV show that made him known by my generation, but before TV, there was only movies and radio. Looking through his filmograhpy, I see titles of films from the '30's & '40's I've heard discussed, suggesting that they had brought him renown by that period. Among them -

The Man Who Knew Too Much - '34
39 Steps - '35
The Lady Vanishes - '38
Rebecca - '40
Suspicion - '41

And on it goes!

These apparently were milestones among popular entertainment which also garnered much critical praise.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I think it was his TV show that made him known by my generation, but before TV, there was only movies and radio. Looking through his filmograhpy, I see titles of films from the '30's & '40's I've heard discussed, suggesting that they had brought him renown by that period. Among them -

The Man Who Knew Too Much - '34
39 Steps - '35
The Lady Vanishes - '38
Rebecca - '40
Suspicion - '41

And on it goes!

These apparently were milestones among popular entertainment which also garnered much critical praise.
Clearly he was and for the movies you note.

I'd add to the list another one of his I like from that era "Foreign Correspondent" from 1940.

The clothes in it are incredible too:
screen-shot-2013-09-19-at-9-53-20-am.png
Foreign Correspondent 3.jpg
0655.jpg
4929.jpg
MV5BMzNiYjA3ZjUtNDk1Yy00MDllLTliY2YtYjM2NWM2NDM0MTA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgwNTk5MDI@._V1_.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
They are not at Fellows' level, but I've enjoyed the style/artistry of the recent illustrations very much.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
They are not at Fellows' level, but I've enjoyed the style/artistry of the recent illustrations very much.
Agreed, I find the actual clothing, and illustrations of it, less enjoyable as the '40's progress, but these are very nice illustrations.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
These illustrations are from Esquire, April 1943 -

upload_2019-5-17_12-17-8.png

upload_2019-5-17_12-17-27.png

To be continued:

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts