Vintage Esquire Illustrations: Alpha to ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Flanderian, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    These illustrations conclude Esquire, April 1943 -

upload_2019-5-17_23-20-32.png

upload_2019-5-17_23-21-1.png

upload_2019-5-17_23-21-22.png

2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    ⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.

3. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    .....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)

Fading Fast likes this.
  4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    He's selling hard; she does not look like she's buying though. I am familiar with that look from my long-ago single days. :(

eagle2250 likes this.
  5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I think I only have a year or two left in my archive as fashions progressed further from my sweet spot as time marched on. And it's not simply a matter of preference, but the illustrations themselves declined markedly as the publication entered the '50's. A lot more photo layouts, which I think you may have correctly observed just aren't quite as inspiring.

But for a couple pair of Vass . . . ? :rolleyes:

Betcha he looks a lot different once his DI's are finished with him! :devil:

eagle2250 likes this.
  6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    These are all the illustrations from Esquire, May 1943 -

upload_2019-5-19_11-30-7.png

upload_2019-5-19_11-30-26.png

upload_2019-5-19_11-30-49.png

7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
    31506-576a.jpg 6-13 Opening Night Locarno The Awful Truth.jpg

8. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Gorgeous!
    And I bet you could wear it for arctic exploration! :pirate:

9. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    That sport coat qualifies as natural fiber body armor. ;)

10. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    As you guys note, that sport coat is not super hundred something thread count. That there is tweed - thick and tightly woven wool meant to, as Eagle implies, stop a small caliber bullet.