Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
They are not at Fellows' level, but I've enjoyed the style/artistry of the recent illustrations very much.
Agreed, I find the actual clothing, and illustrations of it, less enjoyable as the '40's progress, but these are very nice illustrations.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
.....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
^^
.....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)
He's selling hard; she does not look like she's buying though. I am familiar with that look from my long-ago single days. :(

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.
I think I only have a year or two left in my archive as fashions progressed further from my sweet spot as time marched on. And it's not simply a matter of preference, but the illustrations themselves declined markedly as the publication entered the '50's. A lot more photo layouts, which I think you may have correctly observed just aren't quite as inspiring.

But for a couple pair of Vass . . . ? :rolleyes:

^^
Betcha he looks a lot different once his DI's are finished with him! :devil: