Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
.....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
^^
.....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)
He's selling hard; she does not look like she's buying though. I am familiar with that look from my long-ago single days. :(

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.
I think I only have a year or two left in my archive as fashions progressed further from my sweet spot as time marched on. And it's not simply a matter of preference, but the illustrations themselves declined markedly as the publication entered the '50's. A lot more photo layouts, which I think you may have correctly observed just aren't quite as inspiring.

But for a couple pair of Vass . . . ? :rolleyes:

^^
Betcha he looks a lot different once his DI's are finished with him! :devil:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
31506-576a.jpg 6-13 Opening Night Locarno The Awful Truth.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
View attachment 31155 View attachment 31156
Gorgeous!
And I bet you could wear it for arctic exploration! :pirate:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
As you guys note, that sport coat is not super hundred something thread count. That there is tweed - thick and tightly woven wool meant to, as Eagle implies, stop a small caliber bullet.