Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
31506-576a.jpg
6-13 Opening Night Locarno The Awful Truth.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
We (well, I) often note how the '30s and '40s (and '50s) were the era of the large-scale herringbone pattern. Flanderian's generous posting of these Esquire illustrations confirms that almost daily.

Just today, I caught some of 1937's "The Awful Truth" on TCM with a young Ralph Bellamy (yup, one of the "old guys" from "Trading Places") wearing a large-scale herringbone sport coat. Unfortunately, I could only find a few pics and none that really show the scale off well (if you enlarge the screen, it helps a bit).

Still, it's just more proof that large-scale herringbone was common back then.
View attachment 31155 View attachment 31156
Gorgeous!
And I bet you could wear it for arctic exploration! :pirate:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
As you guys note, that sport coat is not super hundred something thread count. That there is tweed - thick and tightly woven wool meant to, as Eagle implies, stop a small caliber bullet.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
⇧ That might be Fellows' weakest effort so far - it looks as if he wasn't really trying. Heck, I like the illustration below his better and we know, when he wants to, he can put almost any other illustrator to shame.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
These are the only two illustrations from Esquire, July 1943 -

View attachment 31302
"Nothing nude under the sun! :icon_scratch:??? Well that certainly wasn't true back in the mid 1970's on a couple of California beaches near Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB, CA. I may have been the only occupant of said beaches with even a stitch of clothing on, as I stood there in my chinos and pale blue sport shirt! Although my compadre did strip down to his "tightie-whities" in his effort to fit in, perhaps proving the wisdom of 'not ever allowing the inmates to leave the asylum! LOL. ;)

5 Rules on How and Wehen to Wear An Undershirt