Mr Jones

United States
Minnesota
MINNEAPOLIS
I found some nice shell cordovan loafers from Hong Kong custom shoemaker Lee Kee.
Since they were custom made, no size is indicated. Is there any way to accurately size a shoe besides running around like Cinderella's prince, asking anyone/everyone to try them on for fit? Some sort of expandable shoe-tree like device that can be measured?

After doing some internet digging, it looks like Mr. Kee has been out of the business for decades, with many/most online testimonials coming from servicemen who purchased their bespoke footwear while on shore leave in the mid-60s. Does anyone have any additional info? Personal experience?

The following bio comes from www.classicshoesformen.com

"The old Asia hands among us will remember Lee Kee, the custom shoemaker in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. Their shoes represented the height of luxury, not to mention prices, and they specialized in exotic reptile leathers, alligator, crocodile, lizard, snake and the forbidden giant sea turtle, listed elsewhere in the website. I have no doubt that somewhere in the outer districts of the city Lee Kee’s workers were eating what did not go into the shoes, but we were spared that sight in his pristine showroom in the Peninsula. Since the 1950’s and the occupation of Shanghai by the Red forces, Hong Kong, long the Eastern outpost of the British Empire, became the Mecca for tailoring, dressmaking and shoemaking to the European trade, and the premiere destination for exacting shoppers in the Orient. Lee Kee, occupying the most prominent shop, in the most prominent location in the most luxurious hotel in Hong Kong, naturally garnered much of this elevated trade. And deservedly, his handwork is a testament to the skill of his workmen and this present shoe is a prime example of bespoke shoemaking at its very finest."

lee_kee_2.jpglee_kee_1.jpg

mr.v

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I thrifted two pairs of lee kee's about a year ago. They are both shell color 8 and they happened to be my size. I wear them every once in a while, but I want to have them resoled at some point before the fall.
I do implement the Cinderella sizing chart when I need to. My dad wears a 10, I'm a 10.5, my brother's 11.5.... I'd love to hear of a better system.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts