smujd

Well, not too Trad, but I generally wear running shoes if I'm going to do a lot of walking.

If I need something more dressy, I have an old pair of Timberland suede bucks which fit the bill quite well.

Joe Beamish

Advanced Member
United States
Texas
Austin
In NYC, all shoes are "walking shoes". On the casual side, desert boots are very good. Almost all of my nicer shoes are good walkers because they have been converted from leather soles to rubber or Dainite. Leather gets chewed up fast around here.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
United States
Connecticut
Lakeville
Some years back I found a rubber-soled Alden plain toe blucher at Sierra Trading Post and bought two pairs, tan and dark brown, and for tromping around in a variety of conditions they are superb.

But I have never seen them since, not even at Shoe Mart or other Alden sellers. Which helps you not one bit.

How about the AE Wilbert?

Penang Lawyer

I have most lickely walked every block below 125th Street in Manhattan and the A&E Leeds with leather soles have been my choice. A police officer once told me that they always had double soles on their shoes. I don't know if those "diamite" soles would work on some of the Park Avenue side walks.

cumberlandpeal

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
There's walking and then there's walking. If you are talking about tramping around the city and its puddles and obstacles then you can go with Alden's plain toe walker with some sort of crepe sole, or with the leather soled plain toe blucher in cordovan which, once broken in, will absorb the miles, the puddles and the pounding and look good in the bargain. If you are walking paths in the country you might consider Tricker's country line for shoes like the Keswick or Burton both of which are stout and very comfortable. I have walked all over Manhattan island in Alden ptb cordovans as well as in Brooks Brothers Peal cap toes. The Aldens will give better support and will go more miles before having to be resoled. Frankly all good quality leather soled shoes are pretty good for walking as they are designed for it.

Joe Beamish

Advanced Member
United States
Texas
Austin
I don't know. If you check out the associated threads (at the bottom of the page) you will see lots of suggestions for "walking shoes", most of which don't involve leather soles. That's because concrete makes short work of leather.

And leather is slippery when wet.

ds23pallas

Canada
Alberta
Calgary
I can cover a lot of miles in my Alden Longwings with the double leather sole. I try not to do so when the streets are wet, and I am pleased with the durability of the soles.

On the more casual end, I no longer wear Clark's DB's as (for me) they lack support and sufficient heel cushioning for long walks. In the past they did perform well, and I tramped all over Trinidad and Guyana in a pair years ago. I guess I must be getting old and need more support.

My Mephisto Hurricans boat shoe are very good for a walking shoe. For a less expensive alternative, I am quite pleased with the Rockport Perth. I think those are still on sale at www.shoebuy.com . They feel more like a sneaker with the look of a fairly standard boat shoe.

Joe Beamish

Advanced Member
United States
Texas
Austin
For leather soles, the suddently wet streets are the kicker. And the wet slick floors of office lobbies and metal grates, etc.

But these are mainly NYC concerns.

5 Rules on How and Wehen to Wear An Undershirt