FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Our opinions obviously differ. It's why I took care to clarify that it was simply an opinion, and while I'm certainly not alone in it, I understand there are others. If you came here simply to insult other posters, perhaps you can take some deep breaths and find some more worthwhile activities to spend your free time on.
It’s both bad judgement and against the forum rules to inject political commentary into clothing discussions. When you make an unnecessary, disparaging comment on an internet forum about a high-profile figure in the political arena, what good do you expect to come from it? (That’s a rhetorical question....you don’t need to answer it).

Kennedy Jr. Jr.

New York, NY
United States
NY
New York
It’s both bad judgement and against the forum rules to inject political commentary into clothing discussions. When you make an unnecessary, disparaging comment on an internet forum about a high-profile figure in the political arena, what good do you expect to come from it? (That’s a rhetorical question....you don’t need to answer it).
Well, good on you for taking the high road. You could have simply ignored my aside and focused on the substance of my argument, which I think was in keeping with the OP's discussion, or ignored the thread entirely, but instead you insulted me. Thanks for the lesson in forum etiquette - I clearly have a lot to learn from you.

One poster replies that starting the thread is annoying because we aren't fixing the Very Important Issues of America. Another replies that talking about anything but clothing means we're breaking the rules. Neither of you contributed to the discussion of the OP, whereas I did, agree with my views or not. Now, we're wasting time and space arguing about it.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Sorry for hand wringing. I’ll confine prospective banter to warp, and woof and such.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
For my part, I am not at all sure the US has any bigger problem than the apparent return to (post-literate) primitivism in which we are embarked.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Another one of these hand-wringing threads... Guys, your country has bigger problems that need your attention.
I agree that the USA has bigger problems than the gutting of school dress codes. The thing is, if I were to try to get--in the Fashion Forum--a robust debate going about homelessness, immigration, the Republicans, the Democrats, abortion, and a really important topic--to wit, will George Clooney and his wife split up?--the moderators might be less than pleased.

I'm pretty sure that those of us who contribute to the Fashion Forum have many more concerns besides clothing (as weird as that sounds). It's easy to think otherwise if you know us only through what we write here. So just regard our posts as constituting one small facet of our lives. There is The Interchange, after all, which is intended for--and indeed contains--the weighty stuff for those who are into heavy lifting.

P.S. I would settle for a liberal dress code, or even just dress guidelines. What impelled my hands to start a-wringin' was learning that the Austin School District was considering letting students wear pajamas and let their underwear show. That's absurd.

Last edited:

Kennedy Jr. Jr.

New York, NY
United States
NY
New York
What impelled my hands to start a-wringin' was learning that the Austin School District was considering letting students wear pajamas and let their underwear show. That's absurd.
Well, of course, even Tucker Carlson has been known to let his underwear show - from the bottom of his shorts, not the top ;)

Jesting aside, I think the trap for many schools is that it's hard to make a rule for every option. "No underwear" could be a rule made to stop girls from wearing jeans that expose the tops of thongs, for example, but is the rule then applied to boxer shorts? Bra straps? Undershirts? The US Army, which does try to have a regulation for everything, ran into something similar with female hairstyles recently - in blanket banning certain hairstyles, they failed to take into account the way those hairstyles are worn by African American women. This necessitated an addition to the regulation allowing these hairstyles in that specific instance. The result is an unwieldy mess of red tape. I think dress guidelines are the way to go, rather than an exhaustive list of rules and regulations - and to return to TKI's OP, I think that to have those guidelines, we do need a commonly understood standard of what "acceptable" dress means. And I do think that community standard is changing (or perhaps slipping). Perhaps trads, with their loose yet entrenched set of conventions, could yet become a role model for the nation! :)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
On a brighter note, this time I got your user name right: "TKI67" rather than "TK167."

("TK167"--wasn't that the first film that George Lucas wrote and directed?)
I'm, glad you got the TKI right! My last name is Irvine, and people ask me how I pronounce my name. I respond “Tim.” I love being a snotty wise ass. If they persist, I say my name is Tim, which is TMI spelled wrong.
Jeez Louise, I've been getting your user name wrong, as well. Sorry about that! In the future I will get it right TKI167 (Just kidding with the 167 vs 67). ;)

Last edited:

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Jeez Louise, I've been getting your user name wrong, as well. Sorry about that! In the future I will get it right TMI167 (Just kidding with the 167 vs 67). ;)
Were you kidding about the TMI vs TKI ? o_O

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
Thank you. It is getting a bit tiresome. Yes, people dress more casually and slovenly than they used to. No, people don’t dress up as much as they used to. Should we constantly bemoan the facts, or just live life and enjoy wearing the clothes we enjoy wearing?

I think we dress up when the occasion arrives.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts