Wedding Ring: Platinum or Gold?

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by FrankC15, Mar 25, 2017.

1. FrankC15

FrankC15 Starting Member

United States
    New York
    New York
    Truly stuck on a choice between platinum or gold wedding band. I don't typically wear gold, but a gold band will match my fiancé's band, and I do like that a gold band is more traditional. On the other hand, all of my watches and other accessories are silver or stainless steel, so this leads me to want a platinum band to match the color of those. What do you guys think?

Clintotron likes this.
  2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    My watch is stainless and my wedding band is gold, but then I do also have a gold watch or two. Some things are more important than metal matching and this just happens to be one of them! ;)

Clintotron likes this.
  3. eagleman

eagleman New Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Shelbyville
    I agree with fellow eagle and distinguished gentleman from Florida.
    Gold is the most precious metal. So should be your marriage.

Clintotron likes this.
  4. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Super Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Atlanta, Georgia
    United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    Gold is the way to go. The various other precious metal options pushed by the jewelry biz are a bit faddish in my view. Can't go wrong with 18k yellow gold.

Cheers,

BSR

Clintotron likes this.
  5. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    What about white gold?

6. FrankC15

FrankC15 Starting Member

United States
    New York
    New York
    Not a fan. I have a hangup about white gold not being a naturally occurring material in nature. It's man made.

7. orange fury

orange fury Connoisseur

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    Mine is a 5mm wide 14k yellow gold band with no designs/etchings/etc. I wear a mix of yellow gold, rose gold, and silver, and though I try to match all my other accessories (silver belt buckle/watch/cufflinks, gold watch and belt buckle, etc), my ring not matching doesn't bother me.

that said, my college ring is also 14k yellow gold, so it helps that those match I guess

8. tda003

tda003 Senior Member

United States
    Georgia
    St. Simons Island
    Mine is a plain 14K yellow gold band and is surplus to my needs, but does set off my box of souvenirs.

9. RedOctober

RedOctober Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Massachusetts
    Boston
    Even the most hardcore of metal matchers usually grant dispensations for wedding rings. Don't let that be an impediment to making a choice.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Clintotron likes this.
  10. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    LOL. My college class ring is also gold hued, but generally sits on display in a cherry wood and glass display case and has done so for quite some time. The last time it was worn was to watch my Alma mater, Penn State, lose last years Rose Bowl game. :(

Clintotron likes this.