Virtue Aesthetics

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I think the following will be implicitly understood: the shirt must have a pocket, must not have a logo, must have a decent collar (3.5" collar points and lined is acceptable), must not be a non-iron shirt.
Linen, seersucker, flannel, twill, pinpoint, broadcloth, poplin, even denim, are all suitable fabrics.

The Brooks Brothers alpha sized sport shirts would probably work well for this "genre" of shirt (the sizing is not great for me). The Viyella 80/20 Made in Canada/USA button down shirts are perfect, but limited to Fall/Winter only.

What are some other options? Bonus marks if you can include sizing strategy to account for shrinkage.

Last edited:

August West

United States
NJ
Northern
Since you didn't mention pricepoint, look no further than Mercer or Michael Spencer. They aren't cheap, but both makers cut no corners and offer excellent options.

I would say buy true to size for both.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
United States
Connecticut
Lakeville
The last few years Lands End has had some sport shirts in regular finish fabrics with numerical sizing. Light flannels and so forth. The collars aren't ideal but since I'm not wearing a tie with them it doesn't matter to me.

Although for all around warm weather sport shirts I really like LL Bean's basic two pocket, floppy collar offering.

Virtue Aesthetics

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
The last few years Lands End has had some sport shirts in regular finish fabrics with numerical sizing. Light flannels and so forth. The collars aren't ideal but since I'm not wearing a tie with them it doesn't matter to me.

Although for all around warm weather sport shirts I really like LL Bean's basic two pocket, floppy collar offering.

lol I have that exact shirt in both green as pictured and red/clay, love them!

Virtue Aesthetics

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Since you didn't mention pricepoint, look no further than Mercer or Michael Spencer. They aren't cheap, but both makers cut no corners and offer excellent options.

I would say buy true to size for both.
oh ok so I'll do the standard list now:
Brooks Brothers
J Press
Mercer
O'Connell's
Viyella

Are there any beyond that? Any older brands worth looking out for on eBay?
I actually saw a few Loro Piana button down linen shirts on eBay that looked half decent.

Last edited:

August West

United States
NJ
Northern
You may want to reread the question posed in title of your thread and perhaps then reconsider your snarky reply.

You asked a very basic question, so I made a reasonable assumption that you may not have been familiar with the traditional makers.

Virtue Aesthetics

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
You may want to reread the question posed in title of your thread and perhaps then reconsider your snarky reply.

You asked a very basic question, so I made a reasonable assumption that you may not have been familiar with the traditional makers.
No no your response was perfectly reasonable and I did not intent to convey any snark. My original post is basically a list making exercise and I should have included the other obvious choices from the get go (Mercer etc).

My hope is that there are other options out there that I am unaware of. J Press has barely any selection, Mercer has a few nice patterns and styles but overall its a bit pricey for say a broadcloth shirt.

If only brands like Arrow still made nice stuff...

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
When you say ""non OCBD" casual button down" what exactly do you mean? Are you looking for shirts in material other than oxford cloth, but still with a traditional button down collar?

Color 8

United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
When you say ""non OCBD" casual button down" what exactly do you mean? Are you looking for shirts in material other than oxford cloth, but still with a traditional button down collar?
. . . Or, when you say button-down, are you referring to the row of buttons down the front of the shirt, not the collar ? (As opposed to a pull-over)