IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Indiana
Bloomington
As stated in my previous post, I went to my local Saks Fifth Avenue to pick up my latest sartorial farrago, a navy velvet jacket, a sartorial "crime of opportunity" (i.e. the jacket was heavily marked down). On getting it home, I decided to try wearing in three different ways - casual, semi-dressed up, and somewhere approximating formal. The results are as shown below - the jury is still out as to how versatile this jacket will be . . . View attachment 47644 View attachment 47645 View attachment 47646
I think you can pull off any and all of the looks.

ran23

United States
Oregon
Medford
By chance I did start with a charcoal suit (38/33"waist), too bad that is too small on me now. I always thought I could have more fun with a Navy suit. The light grey vest I have, looked great with the charcoal, probably the same with Navy. always fun

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
By chance I did start with a charcoal suit (38/33"waist), too bad that is too small on me now. I always thought I could have more fun with a Navy suit. The light grey vest I have, looked great with the charcoal, probably the same with Navy. always fun
I've always found a grey suit to be more flexible than a navy, but to be honest, I think that's more personal preference than defendable fact. If I had to start my wardrobe from scratch, I think the first suit I'd buy would be a medium to medium-dark grey, medium weight (none of that super-fine stuff) worsted. I'd probably buy three versions of grey before I even got to a navy one. But again, probably just personal preference.

ran23

United States
Oregon
Medford
One last thing and we'll let this go back to what it is. Back then after losing weight, the charcoal and a Charcoal POW suit, 6 odd jackets of blazers and tweeds. then started a diabetic Low carb/High Fat diet.
This summer I put on a cotton/linen BR coat to walk in. I couldn't button it, I now measure 39" chest. I can still wear the POW tweed(Patrick James?) but making it an odd jacket--not sure I can pull that off.