Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC remains only seasonably warm, bearable enough to indulge my daily flight of fancy, wearing my newest suit, something from this season's sales, along with a new tie. (Not seen is the navy blue bandanna that will cover my face whenever I leave my apartment.)

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Edward Green for Brooks Brothers

View attachment 47983 View attachment 47984 View attachment 47985 View attachment 47986 View attachment 47987
Freakin' beautiful summer suit - love that material. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Sometimes the effects of chance occurrence affect my attire, which happens to be the case for today. Yesterday afternoon, taking advantage of the relative mildness of the weather, I took a stroll in midtown, and needing both an air conditioning break, and some water, I found myself at Saks. With additional markdowns being what they are, I ended up walking out of the store with today's tie, and another of the same brand and material.

Being someone who must play with his new toys as soon as is humanly possible, I concocted today's ensemble based on my tie's compatibility with other things hanging in my closet - not a classic relaxed Friday concoction, but perhaps of some visual interest.

Suit, tie, and pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Cufflinks - Thomas Pink
Braces - Lewin
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4286.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC is hot and humid - most unconducive to getting dressed properly - but the season of bargain-hunting is running red-hot. By chance, my husband and I happened to drop by every New Yorker's favorite discounter, Century 21, over the weekend, during which time, the store was having a major clearance sale, causing us to visit both the Lincoln Square store, and the "mother ship" downtown. Pawing through the clearance racks, we found a few things that were so cheap that we had to buy them.

My husband and I did a very impromptu photo session last night - the attached photos are of my finds, both from C21, and from Saks and Paul Stuart.

The sports jacket shown is brand name Ibiza, and was marked down to $37.35. The grey tie (actually, a black and white microcheck) is Zegna, and was marked down to $25.00. The other ties shown are the Ralph Lauren Purple Label green & purple ancient madder paisley, from Saks; the green tie with blue flowers, from Stuart's, and the bold blue check tie, also from Stuart's - all sale items, though none anywhere near as heavily discounted as the things from C21.

In the summer heat, madness is born . . .

IMG_20200810_200808.jpg
IMG_20200810_201238.jpg
IMG_20200810_201534.jpg
IMG_20200810_201714.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The weather in NYC is hot and humid - most unconducive to getting dressed properly - but the season of bargain-hunting is running red-hot. By chance, my husband and I happened to drop by every New Yorker's favorite discounter, Century 21, over the weekend, during which time, the store was having a major clearance sale, causing us to visit both the Lincoln Square store, and the "mother ship" downtown. Pawing through the clearance racks, we found a few things that were so cheap that we had to buy them.

My husband and I did a very impromptu photo session last night - the attached photos are of my finds, both from C21, and from Saks and Paul Stuart.

The sports jacket shown is brand name Ibiza, and was marked down to $37.35. The grey tie (actually, a black and white microcheck) is Zegna, and was marked down to $25.00. The other ties shown are the Ralph Lauren Purple Label green & purple ancient madder paisley, from Saks; the green tie with blue flowers, from Stuart's, and the bold blue check tie, also from Stuart's - all sale items, though none anywhere near as heavily discounted as the things from C21.

In the summer heat, madness is born . . .

View attachment 48168 View attachment 48169 View attachment 48170 View attachment 48171
My friend, you never fail to amaze so many of us...a great jacket, a perfect fit and all for a paltry $37.50 and a Zenga Tie for $25. You are indeed the man! ;)

bryanmcdan

Starting Member
In a period of brief respite, it's not abysmally hot here in NYC, allowing the capricious (such as myself) full rein to concoct an ensemble of clothes based principally on the whims of the moment. Included in this fandango are my newest set of braces, and a shirt that is fitted enough such that only when I am near my ideal weight do I dare to put it on. Yes, I know - WTMI . . .

Suit and shirt - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

View attachment 46861 View attachment 46862 View attachment 46863 View attachment 46864 View attachment 46865
Sir, your mastery of the tie dimple is to be envied! I’ve been lurking here from time-to-time but have recently started to take myself and my appearance seriously; your style and examples are an inspiration and are greatly helping me build a list of future purchases (a wider variety of tie/pocket square colors and patterns, colored/painted cuff links and- just maybe- experimenting with a tie bar accompanied by a few new shirts). Thank you for sharing, I truly mean it.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Sir, your mastery of the tie dimple is to be envied! I’ve been lurking here from time-to-time but have recently started to take myself and my appearance seriously; your style and examples are an inspiration and are greatly helping me build a list of future purchases (a wider variety of tie/pocket square colors and patterns, colored/painted cuff links and- just maybe- experimenting with a tie bar accompanied by a few new shirts). Thank you for sharing, I truly mean it.
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I never tire of hearing that my postings provide some service, as well as some pleasure, to the readers.

bryanmcdan

Starting Member
Well upr, seeing your jacket yesterday left me inspired for today! I hope that this thread can continue to be a learning tool for a young man seeking to improve himself, so I will try to post here as often as I can and I look forward to any all feedback from the community. Most of my wardrobe has been pieces together from vintage shops and resale sites, so I’ve managed to build a beginner’s wardrobe very inexpensively (under $500 for everything, apart from the suit I got a “deal” on when my wife and I got married).

Today I’ve picked out the following:
Jacket- Ermenegildo Zegna (no matching trousers, it appears to have originally been intended as a separate piece)
Tie - Hickey Freeman
Shirt - J Crew
Pocket Square - Men’s Warehouse
Trousers - Dobby’s (a local menswear store that was a Daytona Beach staple, but closed down about 30 years ago, I have the matching jacket and am in the process of re-structuring it)
Boots - Double H (I’m a real estate agent and will be showing a property on a few acres later, so I need something suitable for the work)
Lapel pin - a Luthertag pin from November 1933

I’ve been trying to get a little more bold (expressive) with colors lately, working with blues and browns today. I originally got dressed and didn’t choose a pocket square, but checked my tie on the way out and remember this one I found on sale from MW a while back, so I threw it in on the way out. The intention was to bring the earth tones from my lower half up to my midsection, tying everything together. If it was successful, I got lucky, but any constructive criticism on how to improve in the future would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

eagle2250

Well upr, seeing your jacket yesterday left me inspired for today! I hope that this thread can continue to be a learning tool for a young man seeking to improve himself, so I will try to post here as often as I can and I look forward to any all feedback from the community. Most of my wardrobe has been pieces together from vintage shops and resale sites, so I’ve managed to build a beginner’s wardrobe very inexpensively (under $500 for everything, apart from the suit I got a “deal” on when my wife and I got married).

Today I’ve picked out the following:
Jacket- Ermenegildo Zegna (no matching trousers, it appears to have originally been intended as a separate piece)
Tie - Hickey Freeman
Shirt - J Crew
Pocket Square - Men’s Warehouse
Trousers - Dobby’s (a local menswear store that was a Daytona Beach staple, but closed down about 30 years ago, I have the matching jacket and am in the process of re-structuring it)
Boots - Double H (I’m a real estate agent and will be showing a property on a few acres later, so I need something suitable for the work)
Lapel pin - a Luthertag pin from November 1933

I’ve been trying to get a little more bold (expressive) with colors lately, working with blues and browns today. I originally got dressed and didn’t choose a pocket square, but checked my tie on the way out and remember this one I found on sale from MW a while back, so I threw it in on the way out. The intention was to bring the earth tones from my lower half up to my midsection, tying everything together. If it was successful, I got lucky, but any constructive criticism on how to improve in the future would be greatly appreciated!
Well done...you are looking good today and a belated welcome to the forum. As one who appreciates a a comfortable boot, I can appreciate the boot you have picked out for the work you have to do today. Have a great day and good luck with the sale! ;)

bryanmcdan

Starting Member
Well done...you are looking good today and a belated welcome to the forum. As one who appreciates a a comfortable boot, I can appreciate the boot you have picked out for the work you have to do today. Have a great day and good luck with the sale! ;)
Thank you, sir, much appreciated! I do love a good boot, one of goals for the year is to invest in a few more well-crafted pairs of shoes/boots. Do you have any suggestions?

bryanmcdan

Starting Member
Good afternoon gentlemen, today was my last day “working” this week as we’re heading to Clearwater for a couple of days. As such, I wanted to go out with a bang and try some things I’d never done before (dressing down a DB, wearing a tie I’d never worn in public and working with some more color combinations- blue and gray). Submitted for your critique:

Jacket: Pierre Cardin
Shirt: BB
Tie and pocket square: Thomas Pink
Trousers: Tommy Hilfiger
Shoes: Allen Edmonds (admittedly in need of a cleaning/shine)

C50A7079-1827-4F80-B094-638B51E4525B.jpeg

1C066CB6-1708-4CBF-BC43-455CA1D730C4.jpeg

eagle2250

Thank you, sir, much appreciated! I do love a good boot, one of goals for the year is to invest in a few more well-crafted pairs of shoes/boots. Do you have any suggestions?
My preferences include Alden's, Cheaney's and Luccheses. Also, I've mostly relied on Red Wings for work boots. Good luck in your hunt and watch for sales...you can save a lot of money that way! ;)

bryanmcdan

Starting Member
My preferences include Alden's, Cheaney's and Luccheses. Also, I've mostly relied on Red Wings for work boots. Good luck in your hunt and watch for sales...you can save a lot of money that way! ;)
Thank you, sir! I had my eye out for Alden’s, I’ll look into Cheaney’s and Luccheses more. Also, I’m hoping a couple of house scouring the thrift stores here in Clearwater will produce some good results for ties, pocket squares and perhaps a suit. One of the most exciting aspects of travel is finding what treasures that area holds, which my local area does not (perhaps a linen suit, some more casual/colorful ties, etc.). Do any of you make it a point to do some shopping, if possible, when you’re out of town?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.