upr_crust

Connoisseur
United States
New York
New York
Lovely suit, Bernoulli, though I have no affection for either Scotch or cigars - when life gives me lemons, I'll make limoncello.

Friday, sunny, and a somewhat warmer day today than the previous days - time to get another wearing out of a summer suit.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Corneliani
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - The London Badge & Button Co.
Pocket square - vintage Christian Dior
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model name Edgware

IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Love that suit - great way to moderate a strong pattern by doing it all in tones of the same color - I wish it a happy winter rest and look forward to seeing it again next year.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
United States
New York
New York
Love that suit - great way to moderate a strong pattern by doing it all in tones of the same color - I wish it a happy winter rest and look forward to seeing it again next year.
Thank you, FF. The process of me figuring out what to wear is a process of trial and error - what I imagine to be the combo of the day often gets changed as I start playing with the interaction of suit and accessories. It's an intuitive process, to be sure.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
United States
New York
New York
For the first full day of autumn, the weather in NYC has decided to revert to summer mode, with temperatures rising to 31C/88F by the afternoon - a perfect time for me to get one more wearing out of a lightweight summer suit.

Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Drake's, London
Cufflinks - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - no name brand, a gift from fellow poster Bernoulli
Shoes - Edward Green, via Brooks Brothers

IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

Jeff84

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Livonia
For the first full day of autumn, the weather in NYC has decided to revert to summer mode, with temperatures rising to 31C/88F by the afternoon - a perfect time for me to get one more wearing out of a lightweight summer suit.

Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Drake's, London
Cufflinks - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - no name brand, a gift from fellow poster Bernoulli
Shoes - Edward Green, via Brooks Brothers

View attachment 35126View attachment 35127View attachment 35128View attachment 35129View attachment 35130
Where do you buy most of your socks? I love the pattern.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Funny, I've asked about that exact sock before - like you, love the pattern - and the answer (from faulty memory) is either Century 21 or similar discount outlet.

Upr does have a lot of really neat socks, but, as implied, whenever I've inquired, discount outlet tends to be the answer. I think he uses his professional eye to separate the wheat from the chaff in those outlet bins.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Connoisseur
United States
New York
New York
Funny, I've asked about that exact sock before - like you, love the pattern - and the answer (from faulty memory) is either Century 21 or similar discount outlet.

Upr does have a lot of really neat socks, but, as implied, whenever I've inquired, discount outlet tends to be the answer. I think he uses his professional eye to separate the wheat from the chafe in those outlet bins.
Fading Fast's memory is spot on, at least in terms of today's socks - they came from Century 21, a local discounter with a large store in lower Manhattan - as do many of my socks, those that were not obtained on sale elsewhere. My origins as a New England Yankee come through when it comes to shopping - thrift is a motivating factor.

mlenecare

United States
illinois
lemont
I usually stop by Century 21 every time I go back to New York. I'm not buying suits there (though I did get a nice Canali suit that I still wear about 10 years ago) but there are always some nice smaller items that I will pick up like socks or gloves sometimes a nice cashmere sweater etc. My wife and I also used to go to Loehmann's every once and while when it was still open.(more for my wife than for me)

The discount clothing stores in most parts of the country just don't compare favorably to those in NYC.

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
clothes23919.jpg

wool jacket with brown field with navy, grey, black, wine, orange stripes.
raw ecru/grey broadcloth shirt
navy tie
black trousers

Last edited:
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts