What do we think about Chukkas?

sdbinpa

Starting Member
I'm considering getting Alden shell cordovan chukkas - either #8 or cigar.

I'd love to hear what all of you think of chukkas. Versatile? What do you wear them with? What do you not wear them with?

Can you post pics of your chukkas?

Thanks!

chatsworth osborne jr.

I prefer shoes that are less ugly

The forum seems to like them for some unfathomable reason.

Making them from shell cordovan adds another layer or two of oddity to me. It's a soft casual boot, why make it from hard shiny expensive stuff?

eyedoc2180

United States
New Jersey
Hamilton Square
The Emporer's New Clothes

The forum seems to like them for some unfathomable reason.

Making them from shell cordovan adds another layer or two of oddity to me. It's a soft casual boot, why make it from hard shiny expensive stuff?
I can't disagree, as they are not for me. You are right on point here, though there is no accounting for taste. Personally, I save the cordo for the dressier shoes.

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
United States
Heart of the Bluegrass
Lexington
'We' like them. Take a look through the What Footwear Are You Wearing thread for many pictures of very nice chukkas.

I find them very versatile. Wear them with everything from odd jackets (or even country suits) to cords and sweaters to jeans. I wore a pair tonight.

Nerev

Im tried on an unlined pair in the Alden San Francisco store, and they felt very comfortable and light. Too bad it doesn't rain too often in Los Angeles or I'd be really tempted to purchase a pair, maybe in the commando sole too.

AdamsSutherland

While I'm not sure if they are practical, especially when made from shell, I really want a pair in #8 with commando soles from AoC. Chances are I'll never own them though.

LongWing

United States
nm
albuquerque
I like chukkas a lot but have never been tempted by the cordovan.

Pr B

United States
MN
Minneapolis
Meh

Chukkas look cool.

However:
-- Because of their design, they provide less support than low quarters, and so defeat the purpose of short boots
-- Pants hang up on them
-- They scoop up snow in the winter, and, again, defeat the purpose of short boots

mcarthur

Connoisseur
United States
WV
Morgantown
i like shell chukkas and i wear them with khakkis, cords and wool trousers. i am wearing these today: