Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Does anyone else enjoy wearing short sleeve linen sport shirts and shorts?
Er, no.

I don't wear short sleeve anything. Or short leg anything. My arms and legs are always swathed in cloth with buttons or zippers. One reason is to cover the I Like Ike tattoos which many consider outdated. However, were my arms and legs free of propagandist inkings, I might proudly wear linen, much like my other arms do, the stuffed ones attached to the cushy comfy chairs in the front room in the form of frilly crocheted antimacassars. You'll be looking that up I presume.

I have unbleached linen pants, an unbleached linen jacket, an unbleached linen suit (J. Petermans), a coal black PRL linen suit which I only plan to wear after and if I drop dead in the summer (hopefully under the shade of an apple tree much like I found that poor chipmunk Thursday, in peace at last resting comfortably in the jaws of the neighbor's coon cat) and AE Ramsays with linen toe tops. All linen longs, no shorts. I think the short stuff looks best in Beach movies from the 60s, on Annette and Frankie, not so much on me.

Last edited:

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have a few linen SS button down shirts. Love them. And Linen Trousers. Can't say that I have any linen shorts, but I'd be more than fine with those.... If they are machine washable. I don't like the idea of needing to take shorts to the dry cleaner. I even have a pair of shoes than has some linen areas. They don't get worn often, but do get compliments when they make an appearance.

scottfranklin

Yup. Ordered a few Ike Behar short sleeve shirts when they were on sale last month and really like them for their deep color and light weight. Plus machine washable and, if removed from the dryer early, don’t need much ironing.

JBierly

Advanced Member
I like linen trousers but no shorts. I do have a few linen shirts - maybe 2 of them are short sleeves. I will wear them at the beach and occasionally to work but usually only in the middle of summer (like last week). In general I don't wear short sleeve dress shirts although it seems ok when it's 110 degrees or so....

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Linen short-sleeve shirts were a summer staple until I discovered the Tori Richard "cotton lawn" shirts, which are even cooler and more comfortable.

I'll still wear long sleeve linen shirts (always in dark colors, like navy or black, because they're usually resort dinner/summer party wear). I have a few pair of linen trousers (including a luxy Incotex number in yellow linen). I actually don't have any linen shorts, because when I'm wearing shorts, I'm usually hiking/climbing/etc and I need sturdier, outdoorsy shorts (I like Kuhl and Arcetryx shorts).

Recently, I've discovered I need a $2900 Panama hat, so I may be upgrading my linen apparel to match. We'll see.

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Other than the bottoms of my "Little Lord Faunteroy" PJ's I don't wear shorts, but I do have a number of linen short sleeved shirts and think I still hava a linen jacket hanging in the closet. However, if the truth is to be known, I haven't worn those linen shirts (and the jacket just won't button around my enhanced girth) since discovering the unbridled joy of wearing vented fishing shirts...almost every day! Forget the linen short sleeved shirts and get a closet full of vented fishing shirts. LOL ;)

Hebrew Barrister

Why would you do that? If you have light breezy linen, you'll actually stay cooler in trousers and a long sleeve shirt than you will in shorts and a short sleeved shirt, as the linen lets all the air/breeze through, but keeps the sun off your skin.

If I'm going to wear short sleeves and shorts, I'd generally rather have thin cotton and the ability to stay unwrinkled.

delicious_scent

Why would you do that? If you have light breezy linen, you'll actually stay cooler in trousers and a long sleeve shirt than you will in shorts and a short sleeved shirt, as the linen lets all the air/breeze through, but keeps the sun off your skin.

If I'm going to wear short sleeves and shorts, I'd generally rather have thin cotton and the ability to stay unwrinkled.
Well it's a more casual option if you're wearing short sleeve linen.

Linen short sleeve is still more breathable than cotton half-sleeves.

All of this assumes OP is going to be outside in very hot weather.

When I'm inside, any combination of short sleeve+shorts is more airy and comfortable than long sleeves and trousers.

Jeff84

Well it's a more casual option if you're wearing short sleeve linen.

Linen short sleeve is still more breathable than cotton half-sleeves.

All of this assumes OP is going to be outside in very hot weather.

When I'm inside, any combination of short sleeve+shorts is more airy and comfortable than long sleeves and trousers.
Yes for mostly outside weather. It’s better very hot and muggy in Michigan lately.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.