blue suede shoes

United States
maryland
towson
5'11" 185 lbs. 36/32 pants Some 36" waist pants are too tight and I cannot wear them while others have plenty of room in the waist and crotch. Figure it out; I've been trying to.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
United States
California
Long Beach
I was 6'3", but I think I've shrunk with age down to about 6'2". Ideally, I like a 32.75-inch inseam. Usually, I have to settle for 32 inches.

BamaCPA

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Whereas my very leggy Swedish wife who is 5'11" has a 36" inside leg. "72 inches of therapy" as Julia Roberts expressed it in Pretty Woman, while nekkid in the tub with RG! ;)
Sir - on another forum I frequent this would earn you a very hearty - "PIC FOUL" but I'll let it pass here.

FWIW - my wife and yours have similar traits it appears.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Here's a related question for the tailor's: Why do we go by inseam and not out-seam? The inseam can produce varied results since it really doesn't take in to account the pants rise, or construction. Some trouser maker's construct the crotch differently.

The out-seam measurement would be a constant!

10gallonhat

United States
Plano
Texas
Here's a related question for the tailor's: Why do we go by inseam and not out-seam? The inseam can produce varied results since it really doesn't take in to account the pants rise, or construction. Some trouser maker's construct the crotch differently.

That's something I've wondered for a long time. It seems like it would make a lot more sense.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sweden
Värmland
Värmland
How so? With different waisted models. I don't see that crotch design is anymore extraordnary than waistband design. But I don't know enough about the subject...so I'll just shut up ;)

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur

Hmm, I think this is a bit backwards. Regardless of a trouser's rise, most of like to wear our trousers so that the fork of the pants comes almost to our crotch, minus an inch or four(variable person to person, but generally consistent for any given man). So that number is pretty constant. But some people will wear different pants at different heights (almost anyone who wears both traditional dress pants and jeans does this), so the rise can be different from one pair to another. The outseam would be anything but constant.

It would certainly be useful, though, for manufacturers to provide outseam information as well, along with leg circumfrence/diameter at, say, 6" below the fork. There are plenty of trousers with "correct" waist and length measurements that I cannot/will not wear because the rise is wrong, or because the legs are not the right width. Oh, well. This is why I direct a greater and greater percentage of my clothing budget towards bespoke or MTM items.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts