blue suede shoes

United States
maryland
towson
5'11" 185 lbs. 36/32 pants Some 36" waist pants are too tight and I cannot wear them while others have plenty of room in the waist and crotch. Figure it out; I've been trying to.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
United States
California
Long Beach
I was 6'3", but I think I've shrunk with age down to about 6'2". Ideally, I like a 32.75-inch inseam. Usually, I have to settle for 32 inches.

BamaCPA

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Whereas my very leggy Swedish wife who is 5'11" has a 36" inside leg. "72 inches of therapy" as Julia Roberts expressed it in Pretty Woman, while nekkid in the tub with RG! ;)
Sir - on another forum I frequent this would earn you a very hearty - "PIC FOUL" but I'll let it pass here.

FWIW - my wife and yours have similar traits it appears.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Here's a related question for the tailor's: Why do we go by inseam and not out-seam? The inseam can produce varied results since it really doesn't take in to account the pants rise, or construction. Some trouser maker's construct the crotch differently.

The out-seam measurement would be a constant!

10gallonhat

United States
Plano
Texas
Here's a related question for the tailor's: Why do we go by inseam and not out-seam? The inseam can produce varied results since it really doesn't take in to account the pants rise, or construction. Some trouser maker's construct the crotch differently.

That's something I've wondered for a long time. It seems like it would make a lot more sense.

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur

Hmm, I think this is a bit backwards. Regardless of a trouser's rise, most of like to wear our trousers so that the fork of the pants comes almost to our crotch, minus an inch or four(variable person to person, but generally consistent for any given man). So that number is pretty constant. But some people will wear different pants at different heights (almost anyone who wears both traditional dress pants and jeans does this), so the rise can be different from one pair to another. The outseam would be anything but constant.

It would certainly be useful, though, for manufacturers to provide outseam information as well, along with leg circumfrence/diameter at, say, 6" below the fork. There are plenty of trousers with "correct" waist and length measurements that I cannot/will not wear because the rise is wrong, or because the legs are not the right width. Oh, well. This is why I direct a greater and greater percentage of my clothing budget towards bespoke or MTM items.

coynedj

United States
South Dakota
Sioux Falls
5'11", 33" inseam. Even longer for jeans, which are expected to fit differently.

Todd6060

Starting Member
Hmm, I think this is a bit backwards. Regardless of a trouser's rise, most of like to wear our trousers so that the fork of the pants comes almost to our crotch
Actually I agree with Andy. I wear the waist of the pants at the same place regardless of the length of the rise.

Wildblue

United States
Alaska
Southcentral
6' 2" with long legs, I wear 35-36" inseams. I can sometimes get away with 34" inseams, but the cuffs pull up quite a bit when I sit down. (an effect that doesn't happen nearly as much for shorter-legged people)

Rather frustrating when shopping and it seems that almost all pants have 32", 34", or sometimes 30" inseams.

4dgt90

United States
DC
Washington
i'm between 5'7" and 5'8" and had the same problem as I needed a 29" inseam, I always had to go to the tailor... that is until I discovered LLBean and Lands End khakis who will hem them for free in 0.25" increments.

I agree about the casualness of the loafers and it being okay to see a sliver of sock... not ankle though, those pants are way too short at that point.

5'7" and I always have my pants tailored because 30" (the shortest inseam most brands offer) is too long for my liking.

Every brand will fit differently though, for example I don't wear Ralph Lauren pants or shorts because even if I have them altered so the inseam is shorter, the crotch area (whatever it's called) is always too baggy, like it's made for someone with a 12" shlong going commando, and baggy pants look ridiculous on anyone over the age of 16.

Edit: I think it's good to have all your nice pants tailored anyway so you can get the exact length you want that works with your height and your shoes. The issue about the pants being perfect for laceups and too short for loafers isn't a big deal because loafers are casual anyway, so it doesn't matter if a sliver of sock or ankle is showing.

10gallonhat

United States
Plano
Texas
i'm between 5'7" and 5'8" and had the same problem as I needed a 29" inseam, I always had to go to the tailor... that is until I discovered LLBean and Lands End khakis who will hem them for free in 0.25" increments.

I agree about the casualness of the loafers and it being okay to see a sliver of sock... not ankle though, those pants are way too short at that point.
Ankle for when you're not wearing socks. If you are wearing socks and your legs are still showing, there's definitely a problem, lol.

How short do LLBean and Lands End inseams go?

drew1

Suspended
United States
New York
Brooklyn
hey everyone. Today i went shopping and looking for pants. The guy who was helping me thought i wore something like 29/30 but i told him i wore 32/30. What is strange about this was he was around 6'0 or so and told me he wore 29/30.... I would estimate he is 6'0 and 150lbs. I'm 5'8 and 162lbs. How in the world does he wear 29/30 and i wear 32/30.

godan

Advanced Member
United States
Colorado
Northern Colorado
I always had to go to the tailor... that is until I discovered LLBean and Lands End khakis who will hem them for free in 0.25" increments. QUOTE]

At 5" 7', I take a 27 1/4" inseam from both LLB and LE in khakis, and the same length in LE wool pants, including their tailored fit. This has worked for at least ten years, even though both companies have probably changed sourcing of some of their models in that time. My tailor has found that another quarter inch brings Bills M3's to the same slight break I prefer.