• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
In cooperation with our friends over at Tiege Hanley, we just published the following article about 7 Self-Care Lessons fathers would teach their sons.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/7-self-care-lessons/

If I had a son, here are some self-care suggestions I'd make:
  1. Exercise often
  2. Eat well, but don't obsess over it
  3. Get a massage once per month if you're able
  4. Real men use facial scrub
  5. Manscaping is perfectly ok -- as well as appreciated
  6. Dress smart, though ensure you're comfortable
If you have a son, or would have a son, what would be the top self-care lessons you'd share (or have shared) with him?

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
1. Keep your fingernails and toenails trimmed.

2. Know a little bit about everything, and a lot about one thing. Make sure that one thing brings you happiness.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
Actually had to Google "manscaping" - never knew (or even knew of) any woman who would appreciate that as opposed to think that there was something quite wrong.

No.1 for me is an old chestnut - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - which probably really is the ultimate form of "self-care" if one thinks about it...
I subscribe to a variation of the creed expounded by Mrs. Do As You Would Be Done By - the addendum being, Unless They Demand Otherwise. Many individuals appreciate being exploited; they seemingly believe that it is better to be used than to be useless.

Further, and occasionally:

"You should do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but if your courtesy is not returned, they should be treated with the wrath they deserve."
- Anton Szandor LaVey

Albeit, treatment being symptomatic, often indifference and exclusion is a more powerful response than wrath.

As to advice for my, imaginary, son - always be clean and tidy, a classical education will ease your path, and, remember, never demean yourself for access to a female's groin.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Don’t do things that have a high probability of damaging joints. Arthritis and worse can really limit your enjoyment of life.

Take up golf, including scrupulous adherence to the rules and code of honor.

Before words leave your lips, learn to assess how they will be received and adjust as needed.

Don’t rack up debt, but do be generous when you can. This includes more than money. Be generous with your kindness.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Practice personal integrity. Be that person whose word is completely trusted because you don't fudge the truth, go back on what you say, make something up to sound smarter or cover for something stupid you did (if you do something stupid, admit it, let them laugh at you because, in the end, they'll respect you more and know that, in the future, if you say you didn't do something, they'll believe you).

Included in this is to honor your commitments, be on time and don't gossip or take cheap shots. Try never to borrow, but if you do, pay it back on time and unprompted (the same with a gambling debt) - never make the person have to ask you for money you owe to them.

My Dad was that person and taught it to me. I've fallen short at times and have always regretted it because honoring it - having integrity - pays two dividends: you feel good about yourself and people trust you. And if you practice it early and always, it becomes an easy habit.

Developing a reputation for personal integrity is incredibly helpful in both your personal and professional life.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
It's alright to cry, it's a purge of emotions and you will feel better after.

It's masculine to be kind to everyone.

It's alright to ask for help, know your limitations.

Light-moderate cardiovascular exercise improves blood flow to your brain and improves mental health.

Cassadine

United States
Pennsylvania
Butler
I subscribe to a variation of the creed expounded by Mrs. Do As You Would Be Done By - the addendum being, Unless They Demand Otherwise. Many individuals appreciate being exploited; they seemingly believe that it is better to be used than to be useless.

Further, and occasionally:

"You should do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but if your courtesy is not returned, they should be treated with the wrath they deserve."
- Anton Szandor LaVey

Albeit, treatment being symptomatic, often indifference and exclusion is a more powerful response than wrath.

As to advice for my, imaginary, son - always be clean and tidy, a classical education will ease your path, and, remember, never demean yourself for access to a female's groin.

Good grief, man, pull yourself together. You're quoting Howard Stanton Levey? The sky is crying and the trees weep. Just go to Ayn Rand or Ragnar Redbeard--ad fontes!!!

BTW the "Many individuals.." sentence is reminiscent of early Eurythmics. I'll take Chrissy Hynde over Annie anyday. LOL. I saw The Pretenders in the summer of 1980 at The Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ (RIP), and was floored by the visceral energy. For a moment Chrissy removed Stevie Nicks from my heart. A few Heinekens later and I returned to my senses.

Cultural trivia. Howard Stanton Levey died on the same date, 10/29, as did Duane Allman. I think the latter was far and away the greater cultural loss. Although Anton did give us Zeena Galatea who was marvelous in the 1980's; never grasped what she saw, or continues to see, in Nick the Shreck.