what shade of gray pants with navy blazer and other questions pertianing to this combination

4dgt90

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
DC
Washington
I'm looking to get a pair of gray pants to go with my navy blazer...

I've heard of medium gray flannel... is this the correct color and fabric?

Is there a correct color and fabric?

Is there a reason to this combination?

Is this supposed to look more formal than khakis and a blazer but slightly less formal than a suit (i.e. could you wear it to a social event where most people are wearing suits?)

If you were to wear khaki colored wool slacks, would it be just as formal as gray?

Lastly, where can I get a pair of medium gray flannel pants (if this is the correct color and fabric) for less than $100?

thanks in advance

hookem12387

Advanced Member
I'll direct you to the LL Bean town and field flannels. Sorry I can't answer more of your questions, I just wear them as khakis mainly.

Trip English

Honors Member
United States
Massachusetts
Natick
This is my personal opinion, but much has been said about the fine line between classic ensemble and security guard. To my eye the medium to dark grey tends to look the best with a navy blazer. While I don't wear khaki colored dress pants, I imagine this would be suitable for more formal circumstances such as meetings and evenings on the boulevard. Whether they're as formal as grey? Probably not, but pretty close.

As for the price-point, I'll second Hookem's Bean recommendation. Of course BB or RL outlets are great for this sort of thing, too.

4dgt90

United States
DC
Washington
I'll direct you to the LL Bean town and field flannels. Sorry I can't answer more of your questions, I just wear them as khakis mainly.
they only have a charcoal color... i think i would want more contrast to wear them with a navy blazer... tried wearing my charcoal suit pants with a blazer once and it looked like i was trying to put a suit together...

thanks for the tip though, i just might buy them anyways since they are on sale right now for $50, need some heavier dress pants for the winter.

thanks

Wisco

I tend to wear dark, medium or light gray trousers with a blue blazer, when I'm not wearing said jacket with Chinos. It all depends on how "blue" your blazer is as darker blue blazers can work with darker (charcoal) gray trousers; Lighter blue blazers look funny to my eye if worn with light gray trousers.

Formality of a blue blazer is a complicated question as it's all about context. A blue blazer worn with an OCBD, rep stripe tie, Chinos and #8 colored Weejuns is a whole different animal as that same blue blazer worn with a spread collar poplin shirt, a silk tie and shiny black captoe oxfords. I have worn both and not felt out of place in either environment.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
United States
North Carolina
Charlotte
I tend to wear dark, medium or light gray trousers with a blue blazer, when I'm not wearing said jacket with Chinos. It all depends on how "blue" your blazer is as darker blue blazers can work with darker (charcoal) gray trousers; Lighter blue blazers look funny to my eye if worn with light gray trousers.

Formality of a blue blazer is a complicated question as it's all about context. A blue blazer worn with an OCBD, rep stripe tie, Chinos and #8 colored Weejuns is a whole different animal as that same blue blazer worn with a spread collar poplin shirt, a silk tie and shiny black captoe oxfords. I have worn both and not felt out of place in either environment.
+1 I just try to wear a light enough gray that it provides some contrast

DFPyne

United States
New York
Westchester
I just picked up a pair of Charcoal Flannels at the Brooks Brothers Outlet on Black Friday last week for $70 (which was 40% off $118). I was really wishing for the lighter grey color that is on the Brother Brothers website, but with the almost $200 in savings I couldn't resist.

All in all they are a great pair of pants and like most of the outlet stuff is nearly identical to the regular store's merchandise.

tlocke

United States
Ohio
Cleveland
My preference is charcoal grey flannel slacks with a navy blue blazer. Charcoal grey provides less contrast with the blazer blue, but definitely conveys a dressier look than lighter shades of grey or khaki. Medium grey shades are fine too, but again a bit less formal.

Saltydog

I tend to go with a dark charcoal gaberdine, or on occasion, "banker's grey" gabs--which is still a dark grey color just a tad lighter than charcoal for dressier wear. The rest of the time...Khakis. In between occasions, a British tan pair of worsted wool gabs. There are fewer trousers that a navy blazers doesn't go with than those that it does.