• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
While I was not familiar with Nipsy Hussell, as a resident of Southern California, his Celebration of Life ceremony was all over our local news channels.

Here is some coverage of the Celebration of Life from TMZ:
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/11/nipsey-hussle-celebration-of-life-memorial-service-staples-center-live-stream/

In reviewing some our most popular threads, coincidentally, this same-topic thread from 2007 is one of our most visited threads every month:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/appropriate-attire-for-a-celebration-of-life.71421/

What Should You Wear to a Celebration of Life?

Since we haven't seen any updates to the above thread for over 10 years, we thought it was a good idea to address the topic and put together an article covering recommendations on what to where when attending such an event.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/mens-apparel/what-to-wear-and-when/celebration-of-life/

In addition to what's covered in the above article, do you have any specific tips on what to wear to a Celebration of Life? (not Nipsy's)

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
No offense but given that particular celebration and the likely guests, I’d recommend a bullet proof vest.

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
Fortunately, very casual celebrations have become the norm recently IME - invariably at the request of the deceased. Very few somber ceremonies...instead, true celebrations that are just as powerful and significantly more meaningful. Hope this trend continues.

• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
Does that mean a funeral ?
@Color 8 - generally speaking, yes.

A funeral & a celebration of life both serve the same purpose related to acknowledging the death of a loved one.

A Celebration of Life, is more a party/celebration, remembering the positive aspects of the deceased.

A funeral is generally a more formal, sober event.

You can google "funeral vs celebration of life" for more comparisons.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
My mother was dead-set (heh) against funerals. Our family is pretty iconoclastic *anyway*, but funerals always seemed like a way for the Church, etc. to fleece the grieving (which is true, of course - it's evenworse in Buddhist countries), so we trend toward celebrations of life. We held one for my mother in May of 2014 (she had died in January).

That's fairly typical, and a difference between "a funeral" and "a celebration of life" - celebrations of life tend to take place some time after death (a few months or so). Well, in my experience, at least.

Our family's approach is to dress nicely, but more cheerily than somberly: think "Easter brunch". We held ours at a private house (my cousin's house, who hosted it), had cocktails, told family stories, and had a kind of retrospective display of photos. Clothing-wise, the basic idea is to show respect: you wouldn't show up at a family event dressed like a schlub. This - excepting whatever heavenly festivities may come to pass - is the *last* family event for that particular person.

(Also, as in all families, a celebration of life - or a funeral - is very often the only time *entire* families get together. Great aunts are meeting new toddlers for the first time, and so forth - so it merits dressing the part. My daughter was about one and a half, meeting many relatives for the first time, so she was in her best yellow dress. I always say that if you're going to dress your child for the occasion, best to follow suit!)

DH

LeCheval

Starting Member
United States
California
San Bruno
Well said, Dhaller. I'm usually inclined to wear a sport coat or blazer and tie, with colours to emphasise a less informal presence. As suggested in the article, location, weather, and the family's preference ence dictate some of the details. I've never felt overdressed, but could always remove the coat and tie if I did.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts