Fla
Miami
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

To complement the HBO series...lol

blim8183

Starting Member
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

To complement the HBO series...lol
Nice. I spent a few months last spring and summer reading all of the books that are out so far. The series has started to diverge from the books in many ways but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. In fact, after last night's episode, I'm starting to think the TV series might be better than the books.

dks202

United States
tx
San Antonio
Gulliver's Travels the unedited version. I had never read the original unabridged "adult" version. This isn't the way you remembered it from cartoons.

The last few chapters make for very interesting reading

Acme

United States
IL
Chicago
Life and Labor in the Old South, by Phillips. It's an interesting study of plantation economics, and it pairs well with a smooth single barrel bourbon.

ajo

Australia
ACT
Canberra
William S Burroughs 'Cities of the Red Night'
Wow lets do the time warp, read the trilogy back in gasp 1982. Currently reading Music for Silenced Voices Shostakovich and his fifteen quartets.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
Wow lets do the time warp, read the trilogy back in gasp 1982. Currently reading Music for Silenced Voices Shostakovich and his fifteen quartets.
Oh! Shall we burn all books once they've been published for, say, 12 months? Or am I simply imagining a teeny tiny hint of dismissiveness in that comment? Maybe I am....... maybe not. :rolleyes2:

Anyway, more positively; Shostakovich's second piano concerto is a work of extraordinary melancholy beauty. My wonderfully talented partner plays this for me, on lazy Sunday mornings. *sigh*

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
A bit less than a year back, I picked up a copy of Pat Conroy', My Reading Life, from a brick and mortar bookstore that was being put out of business by the onslaught of online book sellers. Finally got around to reading My Reading Life about four months back and enjoyed it so much that I've since purchased and read a few more of Pat Conroys books, to include: The Water Is Wide, The Lords of Discipline, The Great Santini, South of Broad and Prince of Tides. Have yet to pick up copies of My Losing Season, Beach Music and The Boo.

Any of you southern boys, born or perhaps just choosing to live below the Mason Dixon line, ya just have to be a fan of Pat Conroy. Hell, I'm a Yankee and I can't get enough of his writing!

ajo

Australia
ACT
Canberra
Oh! Shall we burn all books once they've been published for, say, 12 months? Or am I simply imagining a teeny tiny hint of dismissiveness in that comment? Maybe I am....... maybe not. :rolleyes2:

Anyway, more positively; Shostakovich's second piano concerto is a work of extraordinary melancholy beauty. My wonderfully talented partner plays this for me, on lazy Sunday mornings. *sigh*
Dismissiveness hardly, quite simply the book is sitting on my library shelf where it has been for years and I regard it as one of his foremost works.

And lucky you for the partner that has the ability to play Shostakovich.

unklbeemer

Starting Member
United States
WI
Racine
Just picked up "The Ivy Look: Classic American Clothing" by Graham Marsh at Half Priced Books.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts