Acme

United States
IL
Chicago
Any of you southern boys, born or perhaps just choosing to live below the Mason Dixon line, ya just have to be a fan of Pat Conroy. Hell, I'm a Yankee and I can't get enough of his writing!
Eagle, your comment has reminded me sadly of the passing of Harry Crews this past March. Southern literature has lost one of its most unique and important voices.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
Dismissiveness hardly, quite simply the book is sitting on my library shelf where it has been for years and I regard it as one of his foremost works.

And lucky you for the partner that has the ability to play Shostakovich.
Sincere apologies then Ajo, perhaps the phrase 'time warp' merely resonates with negative connections for me. I've finished 'Cities' now and am well into 'The Place of Dead Roads'. I first read Naked Lunch, Soft Machine and Junky thirty years ago; and have re-read each of them several times. I really appreciate Burroughs' insights, themes and perspective. I may appreciate traditional clothes but my nature is far from conservative.

As per my talented pianist partner; I acknowledge that I am very, very lucky. :redface:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Eagle, your comment has reminded me sadly of the passing of Harry Crews this past March. Southern literature has lost one of its most unique and important voices.
Indeed, Harry Crews' writing was such that it could keep one up at night. He had this thing about snakes, didn't he? LOL. Snakes scare the beJesuzz out of me(;)) and there is just nothing like a good scare to make a book hard to put down! May Harry rest in peace.

McPatrickClan

I'm listening to the audiobook version of "Gang Leader for a Day." It's not bad. The bias is evident from chapter one but I'm hoping as he spends time among the Chicago gangs, he turns the pages.

I just finished "I've Got Your Back." It's written by a tennis coach and it has helped me sharpen up my leadership style.

I am also reading "Platform" to get some simple steps to developing a way to make your voice heard in a noisy culture.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
A while back I was gifted with a copy of How to Survive The End of The World As We Know It, by James Wesley Rawles. The author is the founder of survivalblog.com and a former Army Intelligence Officer, whose writing style reflects the weight and sobriety of his present and past vocations. While I cannot tell you the book is an enjoyable read, but it is quite hard to put down and considering the state of the worlds politics and finances it does certainly leave one with a lot to consider. I am not yet ready to run off into the woods with the family to live as survivalists, but am strangely comforted by the knowledge that the contents of my gun safe include a Car-15 and lots and lots of .223 ammunition! ;)

Mox

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NY
Rochester
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

You Say More Than You Think by Janine Driver

Looking at the sample of Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

imabsolutelyunique

I'm reading now The Count of Monte Cristo, by Dumas Sr. It is a beautiful novel with flowers of speech.
But lately I'm too busy with work, and barely have time in the night to finish it, and if I have time, I'd rather sleep.

ajo

Australia
ACT
Canberra
The Second World War by Antony Beevor then Savage Continent Europe in the aftermath of WW2 by Keith Lowe.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts