mysharona

I just purchased a wardrobe staple for the first time in years. The penny loafer, or Weejun style shoe. I stayed away from Bass and upped the ante to a pair from Geox, as I like the idea of breathability in a loafer that may sometimes be worn sockless. I guess what I'm asking here is... how formal would you go with these, and at the same time, how informal? I know that a sportcoat and chinos would fare well, but for a shoe that's supposed to be so versatile, how much versatility can I muster?

Nerev

Not very formal at all so business casual would be by at the very peak. It could go as low as t-shirt and jeans. Color also matters a bit and I would avoid black unless I was wearing it out after 6PM (nightclub, restuarnt with friends). Burgundy, chestnut, brown, or tan are better choices since they are more versatile.

Some people will say you can wear penny's with suits. Yes, you could also wear sneakers or sandals with suits. Most people probably won't think anything with penny's, and sneakers and sandals are obviously more obvious. But, it just means it's less wrong which, honestly, still means it wrong.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
It depends where you want to wear them and what shoes you already have. They are too casual to be worn with a suit (in my opinion); however, not too casual that you options are limited to casual wear.

I have black penny loafers and tend to wear them mostly for casual and smart-casual wear, although sometimes with smart-wear. Normally wear with jeans, chinos, cotton trousers, casual blended trousers and tropical wool trousers; however, I have worn them with smart wool trousers and sportscoat (sometimes with a v-neck sweater too), but not often.

mysharona

It depends where you want to wear them and what shoes you already have. They are too casual to be worn with a suit (in my opinion); however, not too casual that you options are limited to casual wear.

I have black penny loafers and tend to wear them mostly for casual and smart-casual wear, although sometimes with smart-wear. Normally wear with jeans, chinos, cotton trousers, casual blended trousers and tropical wool trousers; however, I have worn them with smart wool trousers and sportscoat (sometimes with a v-neck sweater too), but not often.
I doubt that I'd ever wear them with a suit. Imagine that I have every shoe that I need for every occasion (which I'm close to having), and that these would be one of those pair. I'm looking for the "ideally, they should be worn with..." I had a pair of Bally pennys a few years back that weren't the Weejun profile, but a shorter, sleeker profile. I'd wear these with dress shirt/tie and trousers. But at the time, my wardrobe was not nearly as extensive as it is now, so I'm looking for a wider range of options. Thanks for the input.

amplifiedheat

Low end: Khakis and OCBD.
Medium: Odd jacket and trousers, open-necked shirt.
High end: Warm-weather suit (seersucker/linen/cotton) or odd jacket and trousers, both with tie.

For me, burgundy Weejuns cover everything above athletic/boat shoes and below cap-toe oxfords.

Not very formal at all so business casual would be by at the very peak.
Really? What would you pair with a blue blazer, khakis, and striped tie?

Last edited:

mysharona

Low end: Khakis and OCBD.
Medium: Odd jacket and trousers, open-necked shirt.
High end: Warm-weather suit (seersucker/linen/cotton) or odd jacket and trousers, both with tie.

For me, burgundy Weejuns cover everything above athletic/boat shoes and below cap-toe oxfords.
Thanks for the tip. I went with black, simply because I really don't think I have enough black shoes. There are way too many browns in the spectrum and I need to capture more of those, therefore, browns are mostly what I buy. :icon_smile_big: I also figured black would lend itself to versatility with a penny loafer. I guess I should have considered burgundy. I was torn between a Weejun and a bit loafer for this particular purchase and went with the Weejun. Bits next time.

rabidawg

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I concur with amplifiedheat, although his higher-end recommendations definitely lean more towards Trad style. Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . .

amplifiedheat

I concur with amplifiedheat, although his higher-end recommendations definitely lean more towards Trad style. Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . .
I may have some repressed Trad leanings, though at the moment my only three-button sack is a lab coat.:icon_smile_big:

Blueboy1938

Advanced Member
United States
California
West Hollywood
Probably . . .

. . . not with shorts or sock-less. I'd take 'em up as far as a blazer, striped shirt and tie, bow or long. Mostly I wore my now deceased pair of reddish browns with chinos and a polo. Now I'm stuck with the Sperrys for that. My remaining pennies have a very refined rounded toe, and I pretty much confine those to the dressier side of a blazer or sport coat and tie.

AdamsSutherland

I agree with Amplifiedheat on the burgundy weejuns, although my trad beliefs also allow sockless wear with shorts.

It's already been mentioned, but if you go with black, I think you lose some of the versatility of the shoe. Additionally, I'd stay away from shorts. I think you'd be fine to wear them sans/avec socks with jeans and khakis. No suit, but a sport jacket will work too.

You seem to know what you're doing, I wouldn't worry about it too much, MySharona.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts