• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
This question comes in by way of an email message:

-----------
Back into my old boat shoes. Actually, it's time, I think to retire them.

I had noted that in recent iterations, Sperrys which had been moccasins, pretty much forever have gone to a new construction method.

The method: The uppers are folded under, stitched to the outsole (almost like a blakestitch) and then then the area in between the edges of the folded under leather have been attached by a piece of mesh fabric and then covered with a foam insole.

Externally, they don't appear any different. But, there's a totally different feel, almost like wearing a pair of athletic shoes rather than actual boat shoes.

Does any reader have a suggestion for a brand that still makes a real moccasin?

Thanks
-----------

Can we help this gentleman out?

Flanderian

Connoisseur

-----------

I had noted that in recent iterations, Sperrys which had been moccasins, pretty much forever have gone to a new construction method.

The method: The uppers are folded under, stitched to the outsole (almost like a blakestitch) and then then the area in between the edges of the folded under leather have been attached by a piece of mesh fabric and then covered with a foam insole.

Externally, they don't appear any different. But, there's a totally different feel, almost like wearing a pair of athletic shoes rather than actual boat shoes.

Thanks
-----------

He might try looking at these -

Moccasin.jpg

Or these -

scottfranklin

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
These all look lovely! How do they wear in urban environments (e.g. sidewalks, roads, etc.)? I don't mind resoleing every few years, as long as it's not outrageous, but am a bit of a heavy walker (scuff feet) and worry I'll wear through them in months, not years. Also, any tips on how the sizing runs?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
These all look lovely! How do they wear in urban environments (e.g. sidewalks, roads, etc.)? I don't mind resoleing every few years, as long as it's not outrageous, but am a bit of a heavy walker (scuff feet) and worry I'll wear through them in months, not years. Also, any tips on how the sizing runs?
I've never worn them for that purpose, and wouldn't. Those with just a leather sole, while lovely around the house, or in the backyard, or playing Chingachgook in the woods, would likely be made short work of by pavement. Fortunately, if you're willing to accept slightly less authentic versions, many makers also make them with soles better suited to that purpose.

scottfranklin

Sigh, I figured as much. When I was in grad school I had an inexpensive pair of mocs that I wore through regularly but loved them so. These penny mocs have a vibram sole that might wear better, but I also like the traditional moc lacing. I wonder if Quoddy could put a vibram sole on the grizzly moc upper...
Penny Moc,Vibram,handsewn,Quoddy – Quoddy.com

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Quoddy user to make up custom orders and I think they still do, but it has been several years since I made such a purchase. You might give them a call.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
If you want moccasins, why are you looking anywhere but Russell? They've been in business since your grandfather's time and the shoes you buy now will still be around after you are gone? Gokey's are equally good.

scottfranklin

I have spent a lot of time on the Russel site, and even called them to talk through the options. Unfortunately, it's either traditional moccasin leather sole, which will wear quickly, or a camp or boat sole that I don't particularly like. (Rancourt was similar.) If the Quoddy vibram sole is replaceable (calling today) then it might be the best option for me, since it will look and feel most like a traditional moc but wear better than the leather. Feel is also an issue; I would prefer as near as barefoot as possible, which is why I loved my old grad school mocs.

cdavant

Advanced Member
+1 on Russels. Love my boots. Just be prepared to wait 6 months or more for custom made--but they often have a few in stock if you don't need custom.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I know it was noted earlier, so I'll just mention quickly that I love my Quoddy mocs - they look and fit great and have worn incredibly well. An expensive product that is worth the money. And the company was a pleasure to do business with - responsive, helpful and nice.

Yonkle

Starting Member

-----------

Thanks
-----------

On the inexpensive end Minnetonka still makes true moccasins

scottfranklin

Just got off the phone with Quoddy. Great conversation, from which I learned:
1) a NYC customer wears out his leather-soled Grizzly mocs every 4-6 years
2) they can put a thin (4mm) vibram sole on the Grizzly if I want, and are sending pictures Monday for color matching
3) if any sole wears out in <1 years they replace it for free
4) I can always start with leather and switch to vibram (for re-soling fee if >1 year) if necessary.

So...great customer service, lots of options, and it looks like I've found some summer mocs! Now, if only this pandemic would end so I would have a reason to wear shoes again...

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Just got off the phone with Quoddy. Great conversation, from which I learned:
1) a NYC customer wears out his leather-soled Grizzly mocs every 4-6 years
2) they can put a thin (4mm) vibram sole on the Grizzly if I want, and are sending pictures Monday for color matching
3) if any sole wears out in <1 years they replace it for free
4) I can always start with leather and switch to vibram (for re-soling fee if >1 year) if necessary.

So...great customer service, lots of options, and it looks like I've found some summer mocs! Now, if only this pandemic would end so I would have a reason to wear shoes again...
I'm here to tell you, Quoddy Trail stands behind their guarantees. They did with me, more than once, and I am an absolutely thrilled customer! Enjoy your new Quoddy's! ;)

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for Rancourt from member @Corcovado.

Here was his suggestion:

He made the suggestion in this Footwear thread:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.