FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
I was living in my home country of the UK for many years whilst I became enchanted by natural shoulder clothing and I had more than my fair share of customs duties, plus items shipped from the US at great expense then returned at further expense due to being the wrong size.

Personally if I ever get the chance to visit the US again I would visit the following as a priority: O'Connell's; Rancourt; Alden and Mercer. (Mercer I don't think actually have many shirts ready to wear but if you have any doubts about your exact size it would be a good place to confirm it plus to see some of their cloths and shirts in the flesh and to order some.) Between those 4 shops you could get an extensive collection of very tasteful, high quality, classic ivy clothing. I'm sure Brooks and Press are also worth visiting but for me the 4 retailers I have mentioned would definitely come first.

One other thing: I would recommend that you get Shetland sweaters direct from Scotland.

Good luck!
I’d have to, O’Connells is worth visiting. They have an incredible inventory, both current season and NOS. I’m not sure about a visit to Mercer, they have there offices in Montana and production on the east coast. To the best of my knowledge they don’t have any ready made shirts.

Brooks Brothers, IMO, really isn’t a Trad store anymore. Rancourt and Alden would be an interesting visit. If they’re like Allen Edmonds they may have an outlet store.

I can’t really comment on J Press and their current offerings.

Yuca

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Cali, Colombia
Colombia
Valle de Cauca
Cali
Rancourt and Alden would be an interesting visit.
Definitely. Shoes more than anything need to be the best-fitting size possible and I'm stating the obvious in saying that they're the most important part of one's outfit. Sizes can vary considerably between different makers and particularly between European and US makers. And of course within the ivy canon there are some absolutely wonderful looking shoes available.

For gunboats I go for vintage Florsheim and for loafers I go for Rancourt. Without having done much research I believe Alden is the shoe maker available today that's closest to the quality of the greats of the past so that's where I would go if I were shopping in person and starting from scratch.

Yuca

Cali, Colombia
Colombia
Valle de Cauca
Cali
Brooks Brothers, IMO, really isn’t a Trad store anymore.
Definitely. For a beginner to the style wanting to buy things they're not going to lose interest in once they gain more knowledge of the style, Brooks is full of risks. Even at O'Connell's I've heard stories of padded shoulders (shudder) and it is by far the most purist natural shoulder (or ivy or trad) shop out there.

For that reason I recommend the OP does as much homework into the details of the style as he can prior to his shopping trip. Not that there's anything wrong in breaking rules but it's better if done consciously.

Yuca

Cali, Colombia
Colombia
Valle de Cauca
Cali
I’m not sure about a visit to Mercer, they have there offices in Montana and production on the east coast. To the best of my knowledge they don’t have any ready made shirts.
I read years ago that they have the most common sizes in stock somewhere. I don't know if that's still the case. A big difference between ivy shirts and European ones is that the former have sleeve sizes as well so by going to Mercer in person the OP would be able to be sure that the sleeve sizes are correct, then order some text book ivy shirts. To be fair O'Connell's does have some good shirts too.

roman totale XVII

Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
+1 for John Simons. Wonderful store with wonderful people. The only thing you really can’t get there reliably are worsted or flannel suits. J Press and O’Connell’s, in that order, are my recommendations there.