white herringbone dress shirt with point collar

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by lightbeard, May 19, 2019.

1. lightbeard

lightbeard Starting Member

United States
    NY
    Maine
    Where can a white dress shirt be found with the following features under $150?
    • herringbone weave
    • barrel cuffs
    • point collar
    I checked CTShirts, Brooks Brothers, Kamakura, and even Eton with no luck. Why is this combination so hard to find - is it some kind of faux pas? I'm looking for a pointed collar because I have a beard and round face.

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I honestly have never understood the notion of wearing a particular collar if one has a particular shape to his face or a beard. A medium spread collar, I argue, looks good >90% of the time.

You can certainly find what you’re looking for, though. The problem becomes when you have specific criteria coupled with a price ceiling.

As much as I loath online made to measure, you might be able to find what you’re looking for there. Perhaps other members have had good luck with a few and can help.

Matt S likes this.
  3. paxonus

paxonus Senior Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    Try Propercloth. I just had them make me a shirt and the result is great.

4. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Honors Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    Joseph Turner has the type of shirt you're looking for. The collar isn't as spread as it appears in the online photo; it just seems to be spread because the shirt, in the photo, is folded and flattened.

Three shirts for $120.00.

I have some Joseph Turner tattersall shirts. They're fine.

https://usa.josephturner.co.uk

5. DaveTrader

DaveTrader Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MI
    Ann Arbor
    Nordstrom house brand. I have the exact shirt you described.

6. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I think you are correct on 90 pct of people. I think there are some outliers - people with particularly long thin faces or very round faces where it might matter. However, I am firmly convinced that long necks need a longer higher collar (that's me). I didn't really get the collar thing until I started buying bespoke shirts and was fitted by someone who really knows his shirts.

7. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    That’s a good point about the length of the neck.

Just curious, can a shirt constructed with a higher collar have a medium spread? In other words, is it possible to have a higher collar and yet still be able to select between the variety of spreads?

8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Probably all but the widest spread would look fine.

Matt S and SG_67 like this.
  9. lightbeard

lightbeard Starting Member

United States
    NY
    Maine
    Thanks everyone for the insightful help as usual. Reporting back with what I decided to go with.

After researching online MTM, I found out that Deo Veritas has their highest end herringbone weave on sale at $50 off right now. That coupled with their newsletter discount code resulted in the following shirt for $130:

• 100% Italian Cotton by Tessitura Monti
    • 2 Ply - 140 Thread Count - Herringbone Weave
    • Concealed Button Down Collar
    • Sewn Interlining (non-fused)
    • Fly Front Placket
    • Mother of Pearl Buttons
    Seems like good value to me.

Last edited: May 20, 2019