White Tie Waistcoat Length

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
What I want to know is why both HM and HRH are not looking into the camera.

richard warren

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Louisiana
covington
Donald Trump thinks bespoke, made to measure and made to order are a waste of money and time. He buys higher end off the rack separates from Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece (which works better with his portly frame) and not Brioni as many people (including myself and the media) originally thought.

As far as I know, Brooks Brothers is the only brand that offers white tie and tails clothing ready to wear in all of their lines. However, if you want it with a double breasted vest and/or full rear, made to measure is your only option.
I still have a Brooks Brothers white pique vest. It has buttons on the back of the neck to adjust the length, but I don’t think it could be made that long.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the current Brooks Brothers white tie rig has low rise pants. The last Golden Fleece suits I bought sure did.

medhat

United States
Wisconsin
Madison
I've commented on another website, but the outfit is, as Forum members recognize, incredibly ill-fitting, pretty much from top to bottom. Sleeves and pants too long, a mismatch between vest and jacket (more forgivable in this age where true formalwear is rare), and an overall un-kemptness that is IMO the polar opposite of what formalwear aspires to represent. Dang if I wouldn't kill for the opportunity to get all fancied up like that. Wasted opportunity.

Orsini

Honors Member
United States
California
Lawndale
Well, it certainly looks bad. I've often wondered why there isn't a professional valet on the permanent White House staff to prevent gaffs like this.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
The waistcoat should be above or at the cut away of the waistcoat. One can get away with an inch or slightly more but there are no excuses for such a horrid example. It is the worst I have ever seen and I have seen hundreds of full fig outfits since I started my white tie journey.

This must be a loaner or a rental. A valet or batman should be fired over this. He let down the side!

Cheers,

BSR

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Did anyone notice that the only one smiling in the picture is the First Lady...there is a reason for that! :teacha:

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
One additional note and I will try to banish this sartorial disaster from my mind forever.

Quality OTR white tie ensembles are readily available from a number of UK retailers, and if one is willing to put in the work, the full fig can be obtained, shoes and all, for <$1000. BB can set one up for around $2500.

Apparently, the personal POTUS shopper either didn’t put in the time to gain knowledge about WT or was over ruled by the boss when it came to final fit. No one who understands WT would allow their client/boss to appear so poorly put together on such a public occasion. Politics aside, he is representing the American people at the Court of St. James and he should be spot on, since it is just as easy to get it right as wrong and guidance is readily available on the interwebs.

One must wonder if there was not a proper fitting prior to the event so that some of the obvious shortcomings (long tailcoat sleeves, short tailcoat tails, too long trousers, too straight a leg in the trousers, far too long waistcoat) in his dress could be ironed out.

The only difficulty I encountered pulling together my white tie outfit was the difficulty of locating high waste trousers. OTR, these are not easy to find. Given my budget and time constraints, I opted for regular waist trouser and allowed my braces to do their job, achieving a reasonable balance between trouser length, rise, and waistcoat exposure. I have a long torso, so this was no easy task.

Ugh, if the White House had only called me!

Cheers,

BSR

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
A possible follow-on career opportunity, perchance? :icon_scratch: But keep in mind, that could be a tough client. ;)

shadoman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
MO - Missouri
st. louis
I've never seen a rental that fit this badly.
He looks worse than a prom disaster.