gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
I'm sure the question has been asked before. But there are new offerings each year. So I'll ask again.

Who offers the best short-sleeve polo shirts?

By best, I'm thinking looks good, fits good, feels good, priced reasonably, and durable (i.e. doesn't fade or fray after 3 wearings).

Brands I have in mind now are:

• LL Bean
  • Brooks Brothers
  • Orvis
  • J Crew
  • Lands' End

RL Polo is probably out of the picture for me because of the logo. Same with BB, unless the logo blends in with the shirt and is relatively inconspicuous.

I'm also not on board with the "wrinkle free" stuff. I have no issue with ironing when needed.

Your recommendations are welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited:

L-feld

Advanced Member
United States
Maryland
Baltimore
I really like King Louie. They are union made and retail for $27 a pop.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/made-in-usa/j4500.html

I personally prefer the moisture wicking version, since I typically wear these when it's really hot, but they have the downside of looking slightly underarmor-ish.

I've also had good experiences with Diamond Golf Shirts, which are made from supima cotton in a very fine interlock knit. But they are kind of dressy looking, which may not be your thing. For $60 a pop, you can get a MTM polo shirt. They do MTM the same was Kent Wang does - you get a sample size to start with and then tell them what adjustments to make to the pattern.

http://www.diamondgolfshirts.com/

Last edited:

Pentheos

Advanced Member
United States
Wisconsin
Clinton
LL Bean for me, exclusively. I was wearing a five year old one last week, and a friend asked me if I had gotten a new shirt. They come in tall (important for me), many color choices, fabric choices, no logo. What more could a person want?

fred johnson

United States
ct
west haven
Not the best of answers but all my polos have been thrifted over the years; BB and PRL. I really don't mind either logo for this type of shirt. Were I buying new I would go with LLB which are of great quality and fit; shop the Bean Outlets if you can for rock bottom prices. For golf I wear polo golf as I like the fuller fit and longer non-banded sleeves, also thrifted.

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
My go-to polos have been PRL custom fits. They wear well enough, have a range of fits and all the details are correct. I don't mind the logo so much. This year I'd like to try a couple of shirts from Criquet. The 100% organic cotton pique and the fact that it's made in the USA has me curious. A lot of people also recommend Southern Tide polos, though I've never tried them. You'll have to deal with logos for both.

Duvel

Connoisseur
United States
Iowa
Newton
I like PRL polos. I have one Fred Perry that I like a lot. It has a smallish logo, but I think the logo is actually kind of cool.

orange fury

Connoisseur
United States
Texas
Houston
PRL Custom Fit work great for me too, the logo doesn't really bother me all that much. My favorite polo I own though is one by Corneliani- if I could find more at a decent price (not the $200+ retail), I would stock up on spares.

I do seem to remember hearing Southern Tide polos had gone downhill recently, but I've never tried them

Eric W S

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Bill's Khakis. Almost like the LaCoste's of old. Two placket, Pique, Thick, and a longer tail is what I would look. O'Connell's are nice as well, but are three button.

gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
RL Polo shirts are out of the question for me because of the logo. Although I think I have one in the rotation, it's not something I'd necessarily seek today.

At $98.50, Bills Khakis polo shirts are out of the question. Especially when Pima Cotton polos from LLB are around $35. Are Bills Khakis polos three times better?

Duvel

Connoisseur
United States
Iowa
Newton
The PRL logo doesn't bother me for the same reason, I think, that a croc on a polo shirt would also be okay. The reason is that I think it looks a bit iconic. A polo without a logo, in fact, looks almost wrong, to me, and the little pony is so iconic that, as long as it is kept small, it is almost part of the look. For me, anyway.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts