32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Not the best of answers but all my polos have been thrifted over the years; BB and PRL. I really don't mind either logo for this type of shirt. Were I buying new I would go with LLB which are of great quality and fit; shop the Bean Outlets if you can for rock bottom prices. For golf I wear polo golf as I like the fuller fit and longer non-banded sleeves, also thrifted.
This. Polo shirts are, or should be, like t-shirts: Cheap and disposable, so you don't have to sweat if they get stained. I have a few high-end polos (thrifted) that include Paul Stuart, RL Purple Label and Robert Talbott. They're nice, but not worth MSRP, not even close. Some will disagree because some people are "into" polo shirts the way that others are "shoe hobbyists." To each his own. But for me, the best way is to grab them for $2 or so apiece at the thrifts, where there are always tons, wear them for a summer or two, then throw them away and start again. I'm not the sort to wear a polo shirt to an upscale garden party, but if I were, I always have the nice ones in reserve. Otherwise, wear them as others do t-shirts, for washing the car, walking the dog, etc.

YoungSoulRebel

Inactive user
United States
California
san Francisco
Totally agree! The only logos I can tolerate are lacoste and Fred Perry.
The PRL logo doesn't bother me for the same reason, I think, that a croc on a polo shirt would also be okay. The reason is that I think it looks a bit iconic. A polo without a logo, in fact, looks almost wrong, to me, and the little pony is so iconic that, as long as it is kept small, it is almost part of the look. For me, anyway.

style417

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New Hampshire
Concord
My nicer polos come from LLB or CT, though I do have a few BB ones (not a big logo person either).

I also have a bunch of inexpensive polos I've bought on sale from Kohls. When they're new I use them for work rotation when I'm going to be out on the shop floor, when they get old they become gardening/outdoor work shirts. Like 32 R&R above, I wear them instead of t-shirts (though I really don't like t-shirts).

WildCard22

United States
KY
Lexington
Of the brands you mentioned I prefer the J. Crew polos. The fabric feels good and they fit me well.

Bama87

United States
Alabama
The Other Ham
Maybe I just havent shopped around enough, but I have a long torso compared to my arms and legs, the only polos I have found that fit me (body to sleeve ratio) are the RL polos. Everything else has been way to short for my torso in a M, or the arm holes way to big on a L. So at this point I must put up with the logo.

Reuben

Honors Member
United States
GA
Athens
This year I'd like to try a couple of shirts from Criquet. The 100% organic cotton pique and the fact that it's made in the USA has me curious.
Criquet shirts are the absolute best for my money, the longer plaquet, pocket, and collar stays are wonderful details, the fabric's wonderfully soft right off the bat, the fit's fantastic and the stripes they offer are fairly unique. They are not, however, made in America. The earliest runs were but they've moved production to china. I'd kick up a bigger fuss if it weren't for the fact that quality has noticeable improved since the move.

Mikestyle49

United States
NY
Brooklyn
i think PRL, slim fit in mesh are are my favorite. i buy a few new ones every year. they are great quality, look great and come in just about any color you can think of

ROI

United States
Illinois
Chicago
Bill's Khakis. Almost like the LaCoste's of old. Two placket, Pique, Thick, and a longer tail is what I would look. O'Connell's are nice as well, but are three button.
I like Bill's, too. The model is right. They are domestically made (it would be interesting to know who the contractor is). The white, navy, red, and pink shades are good. Since I don't go in for the fashion-y colors, it doesn't bother me that they are mostly awful. I'd like a tartan green.

Himself

United States
South Carolina
Myrtle Beach
I wear polos a lot and I'm picky. So I'm shopping all the time. They're my "T-shirts" too.

These days I'd say "best" is a 3-way tie among Lacoste, Polo and Brooks Brothers. But because of price and logo-aversion, I've taken to J. Crew, which are almost as good.

Patagonia are great -- I still have a couple -- but too wide and full for me.

If anyone has measurements, please post (after a couple of washes). I like BB Slim Fit, J. Crew standard/classic, and old Norsport (long discontinued), all about 20" PTP for a Medium.

Last edited:

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
Criquet shirts are the absolute best for my money, the longer plaquet, pocket, and collar stays are wonderful details, the fabric's wonderfully soft right off the bat, the fit's fantastic and the stripes they offer are fairly unique. They are not, however, made in America. The earliest runs were but they've moved production to china. I'd kick up a bigger fuss if it weren't for the fact that quality has noticeable improved since the move.
I think you're referring to the other styles besides the pique (your comment about collar stays tipped me off). Those are labeled as "Imported" on the website. I would hope that the "American Made Classic Pique Polo" (described twice in the description as "made in the USA) is, in fact, made in the USA. I'm glad to know that you're impressed with the quality, though.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts