Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I like Izod the best - the fit (once you figure out Izod's crazy fit nomenclature - which is almost as crazy as Kamakura's) really works for me and, as noted in parenthesis, they have an incredible variety of fits, so you probably can find one that works for you. Also, the mesh is really nice and, so far, my experience has been that they hold their shape well and look good through many washes.

That said, they are not inexpensive and for value, I go with J.Crew as they are 80% as nice and (on one of J.Crew's frequent sales) 50% of the cost.

I don't like Brooks Brothers as - to me - they feel like they are coated in something unnatural even though they say 100% cotton, something doesn't feel right to me.

gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
Criquet shirts are the absolute best for my money, the longer plaquet, pocket, and collar stays are wonderful details, the fabric's wonderfully soft right off the bat, the fit's fantastic and the stripes they offer are fairly unique. They are not, however, made in America. The earliest runs were but they've moved production to china. I'd kick up a bigger fuss if it weren't for the fact that quality has noticeable improved since the move.
Eh, I dunno. $75 for a polo shirt seems like a lot when I can get an entire BB OCBD for less during a sale.

Interesting choice, though. I've never heard of these cats.

Last edited:
United States
Ohio
Main Street USA
This. Polo shirts are, or should be, like t-shirts: Cheap and disposable, so you don't have to sweat if they get stained. Some will disagree because some people are "into" polo shirts the way that others are "shoe hobbyists." To each his own. I'm not the sort to wear a polo shirt to an upscale garden party I wear them as others do t-shirts, for washing the car, walking the dog, etc.
This sums up my outlook as well except that I just pay $5-15 for one from Target or the Gap or Old Navy or LE instead of thrifting. I only need 3 or 4 and I only need navy or white.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
My preference has gradually evolved to BB's knit polo shirt offerings. They seem to hold their color and condition through more launderings than those offered by the other guys.

gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
I would say John Smedley for me. Though a bit pricey for a lowly polo shirt.
If $75 is too much coin for a polo shirt, then $215 is more than a bit pricey. It's absolutely outrageous. That had better be one heck of a shirt for the price.

stevedrambus

Starting Member
United States
DF
Brasilia
I wish I had an answer to this too. For me PRL can't be beat. The PRL slim fit is cut much better than any other I've tried. I also like the PRL "interlock" fabric. J. Crew comes close, but their stuff just feels cheap to me (although the price is not).

When I was in college I sported the horse regularly and thought nothing of it. It's just that lately the people I see wearing logo anything just gross me out. Maybe my refusal to buy logo clothes is a bit of an overreaction, but there's something just plain undignified about logos.

Does the PRL logo (on a polo shirt, of all things) get a pass for being tasteful even where other logos are not? I can't decide.

gamma68

Honors Member
United States
Michigan
Detroit
I wish I had an answer to this too. For me PRL can't be beat. The PRL slim fit is cut much better than any other I've tried. I also like the PRL "interlock" fabric. J. Crew comes close, but their stuff just feels cheap to me (although the price is not).

When I was in college I sported the horse regularly and thought nothing of it. It's just that lately the people I see wearing logo anything just gross me out. Maybe my refusal to buy logo clothes is a bit of an overreaction, but there's something just plain undignified about logos.

Does the PRL logo (on a polo shirt, of all things) get a pass for being tasteful even where other logos are not? I can't decide.
Because of its history, the Lacoste logo is one of the few that doesn't bother me.

drlivingston

Connoisseur
United States
of
America
I only wear PRL and Perlis polos. And only in pique. While the price of PRL has steadily climbed, Perlis keeps their price at $55.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts