Why are neckties so skinny these days?

steve12

Starting Member
United States
PA
York
I was (and remain) a huge fan of XMI neckties. I so wished they hadn't bit the dust. Lately, I've found buying neckties online frustrating. Whether it's Robert Talbott or Zenga, the ties are too narrow.

Ideas for brands that are a bit wider?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I was (and remain) a huge fan of XMI neckties. I so wished they hadn't bit the dust. Lately, I've found buying neckties online frustrating. Whether it's Robert Talbott or Zenga, the ties are too narrow.

I don't wear skinny ties either.

Skinny ties are part of the narrow lapel, high button stance and shoulder top gorge look on jackets 2 sizes too small that has dominated British and American RTW during the current fashion cycle. While Zegna is an Italian name, what you're buying is still RTW for the American market, and likely U.S. made to boot.

Such is not true elsewhere in the world where such ties, and their underpinning fashion, died a well deserved death ages ago.

upload_2019-5-16_12-39-8.png

This fellow will make you beautiful ties in a variety of widths -

https://www.samhober.com/ties/ties.htm

And this traditional retailer sells ties in more tradtional widths as well -

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Neckwear/

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Funny because I thought the trend had shifted a bit - I wore a tie yesterday that was 4" - and it's not that old - purchased a few years ago. Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend going any wider than that but aim for 3 1/2 inches and you will never be to far off (assuming you are an average sized person).

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Funny because I thought the trend had shifted a bit - I wore a tie yesterday that was 4" - and it's not that old - purchased a few years ago. Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend going any wider than that but aim for 3 1/2 inches and you will never be to far off (assuming you are an average sized person).
I assumed the OP was talking about ties wider than 2 to 2 3/4". My sweet spot is 3 1/4" - 3 1/2".

paul winston

Advertiser
United States
new york
new york

My standard ties are 3 1/4".
I can cut wider ties for you. ( there is a $10 up charge for custom ties) My ties are made in NYC.
Paul Winston
www.chippneckwear.com

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I assumed the OP was talking about ties wider than 2 to 2 3/4". My sweet spot is 3 1/4" - 3 1/2".
Flanderian, a question for you. What is your opinion on wearing lapels wider than your tie? I recently purchased a suit with 4" lapels. I love the look, but I feel that a 4" tie is just too much for me. I have several ties in the 3 1/4 range. Can they work with wide lapels?