eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I've a couple of Barong's (shirts made in the Philippines that look very similar to guyaberas) in my closet Prior to moving to Florida, I was never able to get myself to go out of the house with my shirt tail hanging out! :crazy:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I've a couple of Barong's (shirts made in the Philippines that look very similar to guyaberas) in my closet Prior to moving to Florida, I was never able to get myself to go out of the house with my shirt tail hanging out! :crazy:
Eagle in his youth. (Note whitewalls!:eek:)

Last edited:

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^....
........and Eagle today (note that I still have the whitewalls!)? :crazy: Aging and life can really wilt the petals from the bloom on the rose! LOL.
IMG_3142.JPG

PS: Those are not 'man-boobs, but rather a wallet in the right pocket and an iphone in the left! Just sayin.... ;):(:crazy:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Eagle in his youth. (Note whitewalls!:eek:)

^^....
........and Eagle today (note that I still have the whitewalls!)? :crazy: Aging and life can really wilt the petals from the bloom on the rose! LOL. View attachment 31192

PS: Those are not 'man-boobs, but rather a wallet in the right pocket and an iphone in the left! Just sayin.... ;):(:crazy:
You know, disregarding the cultural dislocation of that shirt's aesthetic, viewed strictly as an object, and whether it's flattering to the wearer, that ain't a bad looking shirt. In the right setting (Preferably after a substantial apertiff!) I might be able to persuade myself I could wear a shirt like the young man's to the right function.

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Barong's are cool and very comfortable shirts to wear in a hot, humid environment. The one pictured in your post #12, above, is pretty heavily embroidered and there ones a lot less fancy for day to day wear. I'm not real sure at what point design details define a shirt as a Barong or as a guayabers? However the heavily embroidered, fancy 'Dan's' can certainly be tropical climate formal wear! ;)

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
^^....
........and Eagle today (note that I still have the whitewalls!)? :crazy: Aging and life can really wilt the petals from the bloom on the rose! LOL. View attachment 31192

They may not be man boobs but it still looks like you need a bra!

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Uh-Oh, that just can't be good! However beyond those chest centric cargo pockets, how else might I comfortably and conveniently carry my wallet and iphone? :oops: :(

Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
I must admit I was always surprised there has never been a version of the stroller that didn't feature a waistcoat --a la black tie worn with a cummerbund (I'm not including DB strollers in that).

Personally; if it ever gets to hot at work (I work in an office), I wore a kind of buff/tan linen suit without waistcoat. I've got a few Hawaiian shirts I would wear (not to work!) if the temperature finds itself subtropical.

culverwood

UK
SW1
London
I always thought of the stroller as office uniform early in the 20th century not something one would wear at any social occasion. As such that there is no tropical version does not surprise me. Perhaps your colonial district commissioner might have some form of uniform but it would have been khaki and probably even without a jacket.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
I always thought of the stroller as office uniform early in the 20th century not something one would wear at any social occasion. As such that there is no tropical version does not surprise me. Perhaps your colonial district commissioner might have some form of uniform but it would have been khaki and probably even without a jacket.
It was primarily and office uniform, but in the mid to late 20th Century it was worn for weddings.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts