grooming Why Women Love or Hate Men's Body Hair

• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
While I have not specifically asked my wife her opinion on my body hair grooming regime, I definitely know she is not a fan of longer facial hair.

I usually keep my facial hair (goatee) trimmed pretty tight.

But, on the occasion when I let it grow out for a few weeks, I am usually met with some resistance when I am attempting to greet her or say goodbye with some affection.

The subject of Manscaping came up not too long ago while I was attending a conference related to Men's Style, so I thought it would be a fun/interesting topic to tackle.

In the video below, John, from the Youtube channel "40 Over Fashion" asked 4 women what they thought about men's body hair (all of it).

The transcript of the video is here:
https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/what-women-think-about-mens-body-hair/

I'm personally in favor of Manscaping, but would be curious to see what others do/think.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
I am, surprise surprise, keen on a close pass from the razor. Very few individuals have ever found me in a condition that is less than well shaven. Further, I prefer ladies who appreciate a smooth chin.

I am not so hirsute and when I grew a hairy chest (late 20's) it was rather unexpected.

This said, would I manscape? Does this mean 'sack, back and crack'?

• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
@Shaver it would appear that you and I share a commonality here as it pertains to manscaping :)

"Manscape", means merely to keep oneself trimmed (or fully shaven).

WHERE one manscapes, is entirely another matter - and likely dependent on the amount of foliage one has in different parts of their body o_O:eek:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
All my life I've kept the hair on my head trimmed pretty close and other than presuming to grow a closely cropped mustache for a very brief period of time in my mid thirties, I've never left any facial hair on display. However, as I approached my sixties, my wife informed me that I had copied Andy Rooney's eyebrows and further stated I was sporting pretty robust crops of hair in my ear canals and my nostrils. Hence, as I complete my daily grooming rituals, on at least one or two days a week I give special attention to the cited problem areas. It must be working because life is good! ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
I have a "Chewbacca" back hair thing going and a hairy chest but I don't maintain my nether regions at all because for me it will itch and burn like crazy so shaving down there would be a no-go and I just leave it alone so if women don't like it, tough bananas!

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
When my beard grows long, it makes me look like Moses, which is a look I don't favour.

I would shave my beard entirely, but since I carry some of my weight in my face, my beard tends to add definition and my square trim below my ears lends a masculine cut to my jaw line. A "face shaped"beard is typically a non-no, making the face too round and adding weight.

I think hair in the ears and long nose hair is unacceptable and shows a distinct lack of grooming acumen as well as a definite lack of self awareness.

As for the remainder, I don't have time to bother and have never had any comments, negative or positive, from the XX gender. I don't comment on theirs either, as I believe doing so is patently unwise.

Cheers,

BSR

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony

I think hair in the ears and long nose hair is unacceptable and shows a distinct lack of grooming acumen as well as a definite lack of self awareness.
BSR
LOL. In my own defense I am compelled to point out that the overgrown eyebrows, and the ear and nose hair were not issues to be dealt with for the first five and a half decades of my life. Though over the past decade and a half the cited points of overgrowth are becoming increasingly problematic! The final solution may be a tiny weed whacker designed to fit into those restricted personal spaces...yes, no? LOL. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside

How would a guy like me maintain this? Unless I wind up going to a waxer which might cost a lot of money for someone to do.

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Paraphrasing the character Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, "Oh my, this just isn't Kansas anymore Toto. That man has more hair on his back than you do!" LOL. :crazy: