Wolf Kitchen Appliances

Discussion in 'Food, Drink and Travel & The Arts' started by eagle2250, Apr 15, 2019.

1. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Have any of our members experienced The Wolf Stainless Steel kitchen appliances...Coffee Makers, Toasters, Toaster Ovens? I am specifically interested in the Wolf drip coffee maker, but alas, they are priced considerably higher that the other coffee preparation gadgets I have included in our caffeine corral. In short, can a drip grind coffee maker be worth $500, even if it does come with a five year full warranty? :icon_scratch:

2. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    O caffeinated one, this is not strictly speaking responsive as I have no experience with anything Wolf other than the restaurant versions of their stoves, which are wonderful, but in the coffee realm I did a fair amount of research a few years ago and picked a Bonavita. The Techivorm was cooler and pricier, but the reviewers gave the nod to Bonavita for producing, at the time, the best cup of coffee. It does make excellent drip coffee, is quick, and has a carafe with good heat retention.

If you are ever looking for a toaster, Dualit. No microchips. Mechanical timer. Replaceable elements. Fast real toast.

meanoldmanning and eagle2250 like this.
  3. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Wolf is known for its ranges but I’m afraid most of everything else they make trades off the name. I’m fact, though the ranges are domestically made, I believe those other small appliances are made overseas. I’m not sure of a qualitative or quantitative difference between similarly priced peers.

We have a capresso coffee maker we purchased about ~15 years ago from Williams-Sonoma. It’s still going strong. The internal plumbing is marine grade brass so it’s pretty corrosion resistant. I’m fact, I cannot remember the last time I descaled it.

The best part, it’s still available and for well <$200.

TKI67 and eagle2250 like this.
  4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    My apologies for all of the type-o’s. It’s one of the drawbacks of using a iPhone. It autocorrects after I’ve already moved on to the next word.

5. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    Wolf (and SubZero) products are great. So, it may be worth it?

Here's my opinion: if *every* step of your coffee-making process is excellent, then the Wolf coffee maker could be a good value.

Put another way, the Wolf *won't be the bottleneck* in making good coffee.

If you're getting amazing beans, and grinding them to the exact specification needed for use in the Wolf, and so on, then sure, it's a worthwhile investment.

Same with any kind of high-end appliance, from a Wolf coffee maker to a Shun classic chef's knife to a Porsche 911 Turbo S: it can make the most of whatever skill and material you can feed into it. Me? I'm probably not meticulous enough in the kitchen to really *use* a high-end coffee machine. If you are, by all means, indulge!

DH

eagle2250 likes this.
  6. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    The last time I applied that logic I ended up buying a Rolex...before that it was a pair of Alligator hide custom boots. This could get expensive. LOL. ;)

7. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    The above mentioned Bonavita still gets regular use as certain occasions demand black coffee, but as long as you are contemplating coffee making equipment at higher price points, you might consider an espresso maker. I say this as my SWMBO and I are nursing pre-breakfast cafe latte made by the ancient Elektra. I know that you like a splash of milk in your coffee. I’m guessing you like cafe latte and cappuccino as well. I met someone at a well regarded local coffee place the other day and had a cappuccino for the sake of comparison. My home made are honestly immensely better. If you are inclined to go out for such beverages the home solution can almost be rationalized in terms of payback. If you want to research such things, the espresso thread here is good, and better still is the website Coffeegeek. I warn you that most of the posters on that site, however, are probably sporting beards and wearing pork pies, plaid shirts, tired jeans, and shoes like Doc Martins. They do, nonetheless, know their coffee. You may also find information there on the Wolf. That was a site I used to arrive at the Bonavita. Ok, my latte bowl is empty. Time to make boiled eggs and home made English muffins.

eagle2250 likes this.
  8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Going on coffee geek for something as simple is like coming here for advice on socks; you’ll soon be sucked into things you never bargained for.

They talk about their “dream” espresso makers and brag about hotrodding their existing machines.

I fell into that trap years ago and now have a Nespresso machine. I can’t tell the difference and it’s nowhere near the pain in the **s as my Rancilio was.

You can find a perfectly excellent coffee maker for well under $200.

By the way, I get my whole beans from intelligentsia coffee. The bearded and plaid shirt, suspender and tight jeans coffee hipsters there rave about the Bonavita coffee maker.

eagle2250 and TKI67 like this.
  9. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    Agreed on Coffeegeek. Their talk of very sophisticated and pricey stuff was a turn off, but I did like it that you could usually find pretty honest comments based on actual usage, even for less pricey items. The insights and experiences of users helped me identify and snap up a very old machine at a bargain price. Cheers!

eagle2250 likes this.
  10. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I will take at the coffee geek site. Though while I do covet a good cup of Joe in the morning (and most afternoons), I'm not at all sure that I qualify as a true believer/coffee geek. However, I am a sucker for gadgetry and gimmicks and will check the site out for future incentives to buy. :oops:

In response to your post #7, we do have a low end Delonghi Espresso machine and a Bialatti cast aluminum espresso maker, both of which see occasional use. I do like cafe latte and cappuccino, but, during this most recent weight loss campaign, I've been sticking with pretty much with coffee, with just a splash of 2% milk in it, or in my most desperate moments, just black coffee...Bleah! :crazy:

TKI67 likes this.