Woolrich signature items worth buying?

Nathan Detroit

Does Woolrich have any quality signature items worth buying? Obviously an old company with some heritage, which it's sold for a mess of pottage, but sometimes companies like this still keep a few good old items going, like Lands End with the Hyde Park and squall jackets. Is that the case here?

I'm particularly looking at their $13 ragg socks. I think they also have an old red and black heavy wool shirt.

Any quality items left at Woolrich?

Walter Denton

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
North Carolina
Winston-Salem
I rather like their long sleeve Explorer Tattersall patterned OCBD. It's a nice all-cotton, must-iron sport shirt that comes with self-fabric elbow patches. Once I wear through the patch I keep the shirt for yard work. It's my "go-to" shirt for knocking around on the weekend. Typically, I don't iron it. The pattern seems to minimize the appearance of wrinkles. I've tried the other patterns but really only like the Tattersall. It even seems to feel softer.

The Raven

United States
Michigan
Saline
I'm particular to a number of Woolrich pieces. Their fit, quality and style suits me. In particular their all-wool or mostly-wool coats and shirt-jacs. I don't see most of those pieces on-line though. I usually buy Woolrich pieces at an outdoor outfitters.

godan

Advanced Member
United States
Colorado
Northern Colorado
From personal use and direct observation, I know that both vintage and modern Woolrich garments are used and trusted by serious, experienced people who are often at high altitude in all seasons.

Nathan Detroit

Sarge, this particular shirt is their classic item, right? Too bad it's 20 per cent nylon...

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
The only change to the stag shirt is the addition of enough nylon that it can be washed instead of dry cleaned. People who have to have warm clothing that they work outdoors in don't have the time or the inclination to baby what they wear so when it gets mud or pine pitch, etc. on it they want it cleaned easily and quickly. This is signature work wear, not a fashion statement.

godan

Advanced Member
United States
Colorado
Northern Colorado
The only change to the stag shirt is the addition of enough nylon that it can be washed instead of dry cleaned. People who have to have warm clothing that they work outdoors in don't have the time or the inclination to baby what they wear so when it gets mud or pine pitch, etc. on it they want it cleaned easily and quickly. This is signature work wear, not a fashion statement.
There is is.

roman totale XVII

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
I have a bunch of their ragg wool socks and wear them around the house in the winter - I find them to be warm, good quality and hard wearing. I noticed my local Marshalls has a bunch of them at the moment for $5...

David J. Cooper

Canada
BC
Vancouver
I agree. This forum seems to be about Alden wing tips and cashmere socks. What is wong with a little nylon with your wool?