dragan

United States
Kansas
garden city
Let's say your house is burning down (God forbid) and you have only 30 seconds to grab 3 sartorial items before you run out the door.

This is going to be tough. What would be your 3?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Paraphrasing from MacArthurs iconic address to The Cadet Corps at West Point, the last three items that will pass through my mind and be clutched in my slow roasting fingers will be "my Luccheses, my Luccheses, and my Lucchese's!" To hell with the rest of it. ;)

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
My parents were serious collectors of art and antiquities.

As such, I grew up in a house that was, essentially, a museum. Example: you could pick up a random vase, invert it, and a little tag would fall out ("Celadon Vase, Sung Dynasty, c.11thC AD") - everything in the house was catalogued and labeled. I grew up having to be *cautious* at all times.

Cut to the present: I am the opposite. Everything in the house is selected for function. Daughter is jumping on a sofa? Have fun, but just be careful (and not for the sake of the sofa.) Well, I do have antiques - because how can I not (with the family connection) - but I am really attached to very little.

So, in terms of three inanimate objects, I would be thinking in terms of "what do I need to continue conducting my daily affairs", which would probably be wallet, keys, and old (pre-digital) photo album. The wallet and keys are less an issue of irreplaceability than hassle avoidance; the old family photos are (currently) the only really "precious" item.

(Even my laptop is a simple matter of buying a new one and then backing it up from the cloud, so it can burn.)

DH

PS. the lesson here is that I need to finally get around to digitizing all my old photos, family movies (on tapes and film reels), and handwritten cards and letters!

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
My parents were serious collectors of art and antiquities.

As such, I grew up in a house that was, essentially, a museum. Example: you could pick up a random vase, invert it, and a little tag would fall out ("Celadon Vase, Sung Dynasty, c.11thC AD") - everything in the house was catalogued and labeled. I grew up having to be *cautious* at all times.

Cut to the present: I am the opposite. Everything in the house is selected for function. Daughter is jumping on a sofa? Have fun, but just be careful (and not for the sake of the sofa.) Well, I do have antiques - because how can I not (with the family connection) - but I am really attached to very little.

So, in terms of three inanimate objects, I would be thinking in terms of "what do I need to continue conducting my daily affairs", which would probably be wallet, keys, and old (pre-digital) photo album. The wallet and keys are less an issue of irreplaceability than hassle avoidance; the old family photos are (currently) the only really "precious" item.

(Even my laptop is a simple matter of buying a new one and then backing it up from the cloud, so it can burn.)

DH

PS. the lesson here is that I need to finally get around to digitizing all my old photos, family movies (on tapes and film reels), and handwritten cards and letters!
That's a good story, as yours usually are. Daughter/sofa part, straight up good. However, the thread specifies three satorial items. So go back and rewrite. We go to press shortly.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
On second thought, I would like to change mine to a pair of underwear (Hanes*) and just one pair o'Chucks. To make room for my MAGA cap which I haven't actually bought yet, but plan to because I know @Mike Petrik and @eagle2250 will be pleased.

*Hanes because I know from previous postings that the tread creator is partial to them.
Peak, you will be pleased (or at least reassured) to know that I do not own a MAGA hat and do not plan on buying one -- though wifey would be pleased if I did. That said, when my son and daughter-in-law married last year their party favors included "Making Marriage Great Again" koozies. While the couple are not exactly Trump enthusiasts, they cannot abide politically correct conceits and happily share Dad P's wonderful sense of humor.

Last edited:

EdwardWilson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Let's say your house is burning down (God forbid) and you have only 30 seconds to grab 3 sartorial items before you run out the door.

This is going to be tough. What would be your 3?
I want to say my Louis Vuitton brief case and duffel bag, but since I have insurance those can be replaced.

I have a relatively pedestrian Brooks Brothers tie that I bought in 2006. Its blue and not terribly interesting. But for some reason I just love it. It can't be replaced because like many BB ties, it was only made for a short time. I tried to find it on Ebay but no such luck. When my cat was a kitten he put a big scratch in it. So for no particular reason, of the 200+ ties in my closet, I'd let the Kitons, Brionis, Isaias, Zegnas, Canalis and Paul Stuarts burn and save this flimsy tie I bought for $90, 13 years ago.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
I want to say my Louis Vuitton brief case and duffel bag, but since I have insurance those can be replaced.

I have a relatively pedestrian Brooks Brothers tie that I bought in 2006. Its blue and not terribly interesting. But for some reason I just love it. It can't be replaced because like many BB ties, it was only made for a short time. I tried to find it on Ebay but no such luck. When my cat was a kitten he put a big scratch in it. So for no particular reason, of the 200+ ties in my closet, I'd let the Kitons, Brionis, Isaias, Zegnas, Canalis and Paul Stuarts burn and save this flimsy tie I bought for $90, 13 years ago.
You get two more. Maybe grab that cat while you're at it.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts