immanuelrx

Belgium
Hainaut
Jurbise
I've never encountered this requirement before, so yeah, a little trepidation.
I agree if it were some random company that nobody had ever heard of, but they are a known established company. I wouldn't have any issues, but then I already have a system in place to prevent nafarious things from happening to my money.

meanoldmanning

United States
Ohio
Akron
I agree if it were some random company that nobody had ever heard of, but they are a known established company. I wouldn't have any issues, but then I already have a system in place to prevent nafarious things from happening to my money.
the idea of bank transfer doesn't bother me primarily because of the idea that it opens my account up to some reprobate dipping back into my funds after the fact but rather because it seems to me to be equivalent to just sending them an envelope full of cash. This would eliminate any form of buyer protection should something go wrong with the purchase, but Alexandra from ZB expressed that is exactly the opposite. I may have to talk to my bank about that, it's counter intuitive.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
^ bank transfers sound like an anachronism.

I suppose when one is transferring large sums of cash it's one thing, but for a purchase.

With online payments systems I'm not sure why one would resort to a bank transfer.

And I think you're right; it's like the bank taking a wad of cash from your account and handing over to someone and then wiping their hands clean.

chosenhandle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Minnesota
Maple Grove
seems to me I read that the Zonkey Boot company is owned by one of the St. Crispin shoe company principals.

I was looking at a pair of boots from Zonkey about 6 months ago and based on email conversations it was clear to me that the company either didn't want to pursue US business or they were not yet set up to do it easily. I think they are very small and new so that may account for some of the payment hassle.

I agree that anyone selling on the internet needs to have a convenient method of funds transfer and clearly a bank transfer is not one of them.

On the bright side, they sure have some cool shoes and boots.

Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
For some reason they allow you to purchase stock items via PayPal or credit card, but MTO, group MTO in this case is bank transfer. Not very comfortable with that.
Agreed. If they're already set up to accept PayPal and credit cards for purchases, the only reason to require a bank transfer for MTO is an absolute "final sale" policy.

I also politely refuse to send money via PayPal as a "gift" to private parties for internet purchases. These people (usually) do it to avoid paying the fees, but the effect is the same ; I have no recourse if there is a dispute. It's not that I don't trust them, it's that I don't want to have to trust them.

meanoldmanning

United States
Ohio
Akron
Just got an e-mail from Zonkey. Apparently they have decided to blacklist me because of this thread. More power to 'em I guess.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
Gentlemen,

Zonkey Boot was started by the same chap who founded St. Crispin. Here is a thread with some more information:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/365324/zonkey-boot-appreciation-thread

I would not let the bank transfer intimidate you at all. Vass has the same policy for existing customers, although, I think they allow for a CC option as well.

Zonkey are excellent quality and hand welted and handmade as well.

Thanks.

meanoldmanning

United States
Ohio
Akron
Hey,

I'm certain they are excellent boots, I'm just not interested in doing a bank transfer to pay for them since from what I could find out that doesn't provide any buyer protection. They offer CC and PayPal for purchasing from stock, and when I inquired about that for MTO I was told no because neither provided any kind of buyer protection. Huh? Maybe a language barrier issue in play, but also not something I am interested in having to deal with.

immanuelrx

Belgium
Hainaut
Jurbise
Though I don't see why you are so worried about this process when the company is known and established, the fact that they blacklisted you because of your discussion on the topic is silly. There are plenty of options out there for you and you don't need them to find a good boot.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts