dandypauper

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NY
BROOKLYN
I knew that would get your attention. Okay, seriously. Zoom in on the crotch in this picture:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod43070014&parentId=cat11940738&masterId=cat10880736&index=11&cmCat=cat000000cat000470cat000526cat14120827cat10880736cat11940738
Now will someone please tell me why that buckling at the top of the zipper happens? I have noticed it on several of my trousers. Am I just getting too big for my britches? Is the model? This is the first in my new "what the hell is wrong with all my clothes?" (aka "while it's true I'm getting fat, I don't think that's what's causing this") series.

LeatherSOUL

United States
HI
Honolulu
Funny, I just noticed that on my pants today too. There must be a simple explanation.

radix023

United States
Georgia
Marietta
I may be off base, but isn't that sort of deflection what a "french fly" (that crossover button piece behind the zipper) is supposed to prevent? On pants you have that are doing this, are they just button or snap + zipper for fastening?

Mark from Plano

It comes from not wearing the pants on the proper spot on the waist. If you look closely at that picture, you can see that the waistband is curving down a bit in front. If he pulled his pants up slightly the sag would disappear.

dandypauper

United States
NY
BROOKLYN
It comes from not wearing the pants on the proper spot on the waist. If you look closely at that picture, you can see that the waistband is curving down a bit in front. If he pulled his pants up slightly the sag would disappear.
But lifting the trousers higher (which, when I was a kid, was always my dad's solution to any problem I had with any pants at all... Uncomfortable--you need to wear them higher... Itchy--higher... Too tight in the crotch--you got it, higher) would pull them on to the belly, which even models have a little bit, and turn the waistband even more downward, wouldn't it?

Mark from Plano

But lifting the trousers higher (which, when I was a kid, was always my dad's solution to any problem I had with any pants at all... Uncomfortable--you need to wear them higher... Itchy--higher... Too tight in the crotch--you got it, higher) would pull them on to the belly, which even models have a little bit, and turn the waistband even more downward, wouldn't it?
All may be true, however, the way these trousers are cut, they are to be worn ever so slightly higher. When they sag in the front, as these do, it causes a "buckling" in the fly as these have.

I have a belly which causes my trousers to slide down during the day and this buckling of the fly is a common occurance. If I pull my trousers up where they belong...voila...no more buckling.

btw..."Too tight in the crotch=pull them higher?" How could that possibly help? ;)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Dandypauper: MfP is spot on with his analysis of the problem and proposed solution. The situation could also be mitigated if the model were to make good use of a sturdy belt.

PS: Love your new avatar...The late, great Orville Redenbacher started his gormet popcorn empire right here in Valparaiso!

nicksull

It looks like the pants are a little tight on the hips. For my money its not the waist but the gentlemans posterior that is straining the fabric......

DunninLA

The front flap is pivoting on the button. Notice the waistband sags from the hips to the crotch by about an inch... and pivots on the button.

I don't know how to fix this other than pulling up the front of the waistband.

a tailor

Honors Member
pull em up. trousers are made to be worn strait across on the waist, not sagging down in front. a great many trouser problems are caused by not wearing them properly.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts