Zuma's visit: white tie and morning dress?

GBR

My point, as made in first post, was to query if it is replacing a morning coat? I have not previously seen a silk topper with striped trousers and an overcoat as formal wear.
No if you look carefully at the pictures, Philip's top coat is sitting noticeably high away from his chest/shoulders which suggests that his morning coat is indeed beneath. I would not expect otherwise.

It also reaches close enough to the knee to just cover the extreme of the tail.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sweden
Värmland
Värmland
No if you look carefully at the pictures, Philip's top coat is sitting noticeably high away from his chest/shoulders which suggests that his morning coat is indeed beneath. I would not expect otherwise.

It also reaches close enough to the knee to just cover the extreme of the tail.

Exactly, you beat me to it!

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sweden
Värmland
Värmland
Zuma is also seen further down with all 3 buttons of his 3B suit done up...
Very common in African, Asian and lots of Eastern European countries, so common in fact as to suggest that it isn't wrong in their minds or those countries...after all if the jacket has 3 buttons...? :icon_smile_wink:

That said,when I was in South Africa in November, two of the British delegation had all 3 buttons done up during the two Plenaries.

Taliesin

United States
DC
Washington
I think we have a new image (to replace GHWB) as how NOT to wear white tie haha...
Agree, except it was GWB (fils), not GHWB (pere), who wore the poorly fitting tailcoat to a state dinner with the Queen and Prince Philip.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sweden
Värmland
Värmland
Agree, except it was GWB (fils), not GHWB (pere), who wore the poorly fitting tailcoat to a state dinner with the Queen and Prince Philip.
Oh Yes, please show is that awful photo again!
And wasn't it Dubya, or was it some other, world leader/politician that wore his country's flag as a lapel pin when in white tie?

J. Andrew

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
LA
New Orleans
My deepest apologies to Mr. George H. W. Bush... as I'm sure he, unlike his son, has properly fitting formal clothes.

knezz

Very common in African, Asian and lots of Eastern European countries, so common in fact as to suggest that it isn't wrong in their minds or those countries...after all if the jacket has 3 buttons...? :icon_smile_wink:

That said,when I was in South Africa in November, two of the British delegation had all 3 buttons done up during the two Plenaries.
I don't think his 3rd button is done??

Not for my suit but pretty stylish shoes.

Sator

Honors Member
It is considered correct to wear a Chesterfield over the morning coat. There used to be this rule that with an evening tailcoat/dress coat you were always meant to at least carry an overcoat - even in summer.

Remember, the term "coat" can mean one of two types of coats: undercoat or overcoat.

Examples:
Lounge coat = undercoat
Morning coat = undercoat
Chesterfield coat = overcoat

There is a sloppy tendency to call all undercoats "jackets" and all overcoats "coats". However, tailcoats are all undercoats and are not jackets. Jackets are a species of the genus "coat", but they are short coats. As with all coats, jackets can be undercoats or overcoats.

J. Andrew

United States
LA
New Orleans
Johnny Keen Eyes over here...

I don't think his 3rd button is done??

First, off those look like 2 different suits, a 2button and a 3 button. And this was the image I was referring to originally, all correctness aside for our African and Asian brethren...