Zuma's visit: white tie and morning dress?

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sweden
Värmland
Värmland
Cameron would be worse than Brown on dress I'd imagine, they don't want to remind people of the Toff/Eton/Bullingdon days.
You mean in a kind of reverse psychology way.

Tory - dress like a slob - don't alienate the proles!
Labour - dress well - don't alienate the banks! :icon_smile:

NorthShorer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Australia
New South Wales
Sydney
For me the real tragedy of Zuma in white tie...

...is not the fit of his outfit, but that he is wearing his GCB broad riband (or sash) wrongly. The DoE is wearing his, naturally, correctly - the broad riband is effectively attached in the armpit with white tie, rather than over the shoulder. Surely the South African High Commission had someone that could have advised him on this.

(GCB = Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. HMQ often gives the GCB to visiting presidents, but the Garter to her own subjects and foreign monarchs.)

Cardcaptor Charlie

Inactive user
...is not the fit of his outfit, but that he is wearing his GCB broad riband (or sash) wrongly. The DoE is wearing his, naturally, correctly - the broad riband is effectively attached in the armpit with white tie, rather than over the shoulder. Surely the South African High Commission had someone that could have advised him on this.

(GCB = Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. HMQ often gives the GCB to visiting presidents, but the Garter to her own subjects and foreign monarchs.)
I thought one had a choice where to where the riband goes over (the shoulder or under the armpit) and the riband is made to the suggested length to accomodate? The only expection is the military. Altought Zuma is definitely wearing his riband sloppily as the bow and badge ought to be seen peeking out under the front edge of the tailcoat like it is for the DoE's case

Last edited:

NorthShorer

Australia
New South Wales
Sydney
I thought one had a choice where to where the riband goes over (the shoulder or under the armpit) and the riband is made to the suggested length to accomodate? The only expection is the military.
In the UK/Commonwealth, the broad riband is worn with white tie in the fashion that the DoE wears. If you see a picture of the DoE in uniform, the broad riband does indeed go over the shoulder.

I'm fairly sure post-apartheid South Africa has Grand Cross style honours that presumably have a sash. I'd have thought Zuma would know better.

Then again, that dinner could well be the one and only time in his life he will wear white tie.

Phileas Fogg

Italy
ND
Rome
Zuma is wearing the riband "Continental style", from the shoulder and on the opposite side in respect to the "British style".
Still, being South Africa a former British colony and being the Order of the Bath a British Order I would have expected him to wear the GCB "British style".
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

NorthShorer

Australia
New South Wales
Sydney
Zuma is wearing the riband "Continental style", from the shoulder and on the opposite side in respect to the "British style".
No, he is wearing it on the correct side. Only the Garter, Thistle (and presumably St Patrick once upon a time) are worn as the Queen does. All other grand cross ribands (GCB, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, St John) are worn on the same side as Zuma is wearing. To the observer, I think it helps distinguish Garter/Thistle recipients as the holders of pre-eminent honours.